Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2005, 12:07 AM

Location: Chicago, IL. Born, Raised, and in Chicago, I\'ll Die.
Default Re: Kerry Wood

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said the problem isn't with his stats. Except the most important stat, WINS.

[/ QUOTE ]
A.) WINS are the most overrated stat for pitchers.

B.) Wood's biggest problem is his elbow. After 75 pitches, he can't throw strikes and then he goes down with an elbow injury.

Weak run support in his starts last year had him leaving a lot of games down 3-2, 2-1, and 2-0. You can't blame the Cubs missing the playoffs last year on any starter(s) or even Sammy.

No one goes to the playoffs when their closer has 4 losses and blows 9 saves and their setup man has a 4.73 ERA, 5 losses, and 4 blown saves. The Cubs only missed the playoffs by 3 games and look at those numbers. Clearly, in the modern day, too much outside of the pitchers decides whether their team wins or loses the games.

Wood had 9 losses and a 3.70 ERA in 22 starts. Clearly, it's not the runs he was giving up that factored for the majority of his losses as giving up 3 runs in 7 innings should earn you a win if you're a playoff team.

Funny how you disregarded the R. Johnson response. Look at Russ Ortiz and Andy Pettite's numbers compared to Wood in 2003 and even a lot of Kevin Brown numbers. The Cubs can't win, but Wood can if he had a bullpen that didn't force him to throw 125+ pitches a game.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:38 AM

Everyone needs to stop yelling about hawkins blowing saves, he had a LOT of one run games, and as such, you're going to blow some of them. His peripherals are fine, except the slightly elevated hr rate.

The Cubs bullpen depth does suck, as I fan I wish they'd patch it up a bit and get it on par with a real bullpen. You can blame the bullpen for some of their record being at what, 89 wins when the pythagorean projection has them at 94 wins. They had a pen that was worse than having replacement level pitching, and hit a lot of solo homers. Such is life.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WINS are the most overrated stat for pitchers

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree more. Sure the rest of the team has to come through. The hitters gotta hit and the relievers have to hold leads. But when it's crunch time that starter has to come through. Wood doesn't time and time again at the pivotal point in the game. I agree that his gimped elbow makes him lose control once he gets to that pivotal point. I think Dusty ruined him (and Prior) with overuse but that's a whole different thread.

Most Wood ever won is 14? Clement won 14, Zambrano won 16, Maddux won 16, Prior won 18, and Lieber won 20 all while Wood has been there. What is it about Wood and his spectacular numbers that he can't translate them into wins? Bad luck? The other guys with lesser number can get more wins. Why is that?

I won't argue this point anymore. But I don't think luck has anything to do with it.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WINS are the most overrated stat for pitchers

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree more. Sure the rest of the team has to come through. The hitters gotta hit and the relievers have to hold leads. But when it's crunch time that starter has to come through. Wood doesn't time and time again at the pivotal point in the game. I agree that his gimped elbow makes him lose control once he gets to that pivotal point. I think Dusty ruined him (and Prior) with overuse but that's a whole different thread.

Most Wood ever won is 14? Clement won 14, Zambrano won 16, Maddux won 16, Prior won 18, and Lieber won 20 all while Wood has been there. What is it about Wood and his spectacular numbers that he can't translate them into wins? Bad luck? The other guys with lesser number can get more wins. Why is that?

I won't argue this point anymore. But I don't think luck has anything to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hell, the best pitcher in the league was barely above .500 last year at 16-14, is he a bum too?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-12-2005, 06:37 AM

Two words, brother. Randy Johnson.

All a hitter can do is get on base and produce runs.

All a pitcher can do is keep hitters off base and prevent runs from being scored.

Teams win games and the Cubs bullpen are the reason why the pitchers don't get W's, not the starters. Look at your White Sox. Buherle is a 19-23 game winner on any team with a good closer last year. He's one of the best in the biz, but without a closer, he won't get W's. This year, his ERA, K's, and WHIP will be similar to last year and he won't win 16 games, he's gonna win 20-22 pitching the same way.

Wood went 8-9 with a 3.75 ERA. Look at the others with ERAs under 4.00 last year.

ERA is #1, not W's. Hitters score runs. Pitchers and fielders prevent runs. Teams win games.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:41 AM

Don't get me wrong. Kerry Wood is still a horrible early round fantasy pick because of his elbow. That on top of when he pitches well 3 out of 4 starts, he's only gonna get the W 4 out of 10 times. If he starts 25 games this year, he's only gonna win 10 games and his ERA will be under 4, his IP/start will be 6+, and his K/9 will be 8+.

With a bullpen and a healthy elbow, he's a 2nd round pick easily in a 10 team league.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wood is still a horrible early round fantasy pick

[/ QUOTE ]

Fantasy? He's a horrible real pick. I won't argue the point anymore and stand by my position. If given the opportunity he will find a way to botch it up. He will dominate a few times but he has proven time and time again to be a horrible "close game" pitcher.

This isn't a fantasy baseball forum it's called sports betting. Look back at Wood over the years and he is a drain on the bankroll if you bet him. One of the worst performers against the moneyline ever. That was the point of my post. If you guys wanna bet him due to his era and K's per inning have at it. I was just trying to bring up the point that his results in the real world of baseball wagering have made him a less than attractive bet throughout his career.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I won't argue the point anymore and stand by my position.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you aren't learning anything, which is only fair since you don't contribute anything anyone else can learn from.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At least you aren't learning anything, which is only fair since you don't contribute anything anyone else can learn from.

[/ QUOTE ]

What am I supposed to learn here? You for example haven't stated one idea with statisical backup that I can recall. Every idea I have put forth I can back up with statistical evidence. Can you?

Look up Wood performance versus the moneyline and tell me what your conclusions are.

Since I don't contribute like you do (LOL!) I probably won't post much more on this forum. I'm more than happy to let all of the suckers and chumps drives the lines the wrong way. It makes no sense for me to educate you or anyone else.

Baseball betting is all about the price. Anyone who doesn't fully understand that is destined to lose.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Look up Wood performance versus the moneyline and tell me what your conclusions are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no reason to believe that his past performance vs the moneyline will predict his future performance in any way.