Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 05:51 PM

Default Re: First, Do No Harm.

[ QUOTE ]
Taking a child's temperature by rectal thermometer is not uncommon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nor does it cause harm. The kid will never remember, and really, it is not like the thermometer is the size of a dildo.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:54 PM

Read this link (THE ENTIRE THING).

There is some info in that link that is very applicable to your questions.

That said, you went to the hospital for their help and advice. I think you should have taken it. You'd have really been sorry if this turns/turned out to be something serious.

FWIW, it seems you have some problems with the notion of having things inserted into one's anus. (Please note that doing such does not equate to homosexuality). Measuring infants' temperatures via the rectum is not unusual. Further food for thought is that in a few decades you too will/should be undergoing regular rectal exams by your physician...

I'm not a parent yet, but I think I can at least rationalize your protectiveness over your children. Kudos for that, anyway (kinda).

I think in the future it would be mutually beneficial for you to have a thorough, open-minded, discussion with your health practitioners regarding any health questions you have. It will help everyone find a common ground, and the 'ideal' treatment course will from there.....

Adam
Old 04-11-2005, 05:57 PM

perhaps different hospitals/centers have different protocols (insurance, legislation, patient care issues).... and protocols may change with continued, updated information.

I don't know for sure... but these are possibilities.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:09 PM

You're an idiot. I hope your daughter is OK. I hope next time your wife takes care of her.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:12 PM

i thought this was a "LOST" thread discussion of episode "do no harm"

you made me waste 2 minutes
Old 04-11-2005, 06:14 PM

let me say that, in the interest of being as succinct as possible, i left out some things. first, my daughter had calmed down on the car ride to the hospital, and for the 20 minutes or so we waited to register, she seemed just fine. she wanted to read books/play, etc. she only started fussing again when the nurse started getting blood pressure, etc...i felt very confident in my decision to leave, and would not have if i felt i was putting her in danger.

i felt strongly there was nothing really wrong with her. there have been other times when my other daughters had sporadic fevers with no other symptoms where the doctor told us to give it a day or so on tylenol and call back if the fever comes back, etc... and i thought something really was wrong. in one instance, i was insistent that she see a doctor that day, and it turned out to be a UTI, and that daughter had to get a spinal tap to make sure it had not become meningitis...when she was 6 months old and in the hospital for 5 days.

so, this was a PRECAUTIONARY MEASURE, and i'm not one to take sickness lightly. sometimes a fathers instinct is as good as gold, as it was in this case(did you read the results in white?).

cheers!
Old 04-11-2005, 06:17 PM

On a related note- how can you tell the difference between an oral thermometer and a rectal themometer?

Answer in white-
<font color="white">The taste </font>

As for the OP, I think you made a huge overreaction. Rectal thermometers are used all the times on kids. I don't understand your reluctance to allow a health care professional help your child. It wasn't like they wanted to perform some risky surgery!
Old 04-11-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so, this was a PRECAUTIONARY MEASURE, and i'm not one to take sickness lightly. sometimes a fathers instinct is as good as gold, as it was in this case(did you read the results in white?).

cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

1) When posting results in white, its normally done with excess space so as to clue in the rest of us. Just adding a sentence didn't separate anything enough for me to see it.

2) You're too results-oriented. You'd probably feel like a tool if it hadn't been a rock in her shoe.

3) I still think you have anal issues. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sometimes a fathers instinct is as good as gold, as it was in this case(did you read the results in white?).
!

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason people are reacting the way they are is becasue your "instinct" only kicked in when your child was going to be anally penatrated. So, people don't think this has anything to do with your paternal instincts to protect your child. They think you oversensitive to anal penatration.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if an ear thermometr is good enough for a family doctor, why isn't it for a hospital?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, I haven't had an ear thermometer used on me for many years, if ever, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but would a family doctor use an ear thermometer on someone that they suspected had an ear infection? Wouldn't that just cause more damage and discomfort if there was an ear-related problem?