Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2003, 10:18 PM

Default My mistakes

I haven't read everyone's responses, but I'll tell you my mistakes that cost me money and there are 2 main ones. The first one is I have a hard time laying down hands w/ 8 outs like open-enders or flush draws. The second one is a biggie, I make moves on calling stations, which usually costs me about 1.5 to 2 stacks, then I get a big hand and win 2 or 3 stacks and am basically even where as I would have been up that much, those are just 2 of the bad things that I know I do, there's probably more, but I just happen to catch myself on those.

-D.J.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:37 AM

Default Re: What are the most common mistakes?

Oh I Love it when they make mistakes like that. I am not bitter now. I was then, more in part because I didn't understand the game like I do now.

But I was just saying in pointing out the most common mistakes you find is people over protecting their blinds.

Ed S.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:05 AM

Default Re: Without Question

MikeD

I don't think I over rate my skill because I still have a job after 11 months. I'm very proud of it.

Soh

Old 02-21-2003, 01:46 AM

I know I can get better at this, but I also know I have dramatically improved my results by betting the river more. I think it was the realization at the end of the day that I could have easily won more if I had just bet the river. After enough of this, it just kinda corrected itself.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:53 AM

The most common mistakes good players make:

- Insisting on playing a tough higher stake game when an easier lower limit game is available
- Staying in a game trying to get unstuck
- Playing long sessions

Mistakes average players make
- Handling delicate turn situations (decision on whether to bet or take a free card for example)
- Handling river decisions on betting for value
- Calling when a raise is the correct play

Mistakes fish make
- Too many to count, most important calling when they should be folding.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:20 AM

Default Re: My mistakes

The first one is I have a hard time laying down hands w/ 8 outs like open-enders or flush draws.

It is quite uncommon to find a situation where you shouldn't see the river with a straight or flush draw. When do you think you should be laying it down?
Old 02-21-2003, 07:09 AM

Default ACPlayer

Excellent specific points.

Just some thoughts...

Michael D.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:37 AM

Default Soh

Soh,

I was not referring to you or anyone else specifically in my response at all. I was simply stating a general pattern that I have recognized from players that have come and gone since poker became legalized in public cardrooms in the Chicago area 6-7 years ago.

Please do not take this as meant to you personally. It was not intended as negative or an insult towards anyone. Besides, I still overrate my own abilities on far too many occasions for my liking and it is something I continually work to improve upon.

In regards to still having a job, I heard a poker player once say that "the worst type of work is no work". From my experiences, this is usually very applicable to a large majority of not only poker players, but people in general. But that is just my opinion.

Just some thoughts...

Michael D.

Old 02-21-2003, 10:55 AM

Default Re: My mistakes

1. When there is 2 or 3 of a suit on the board.
2. When I have the bottom side of the draw.
3. Only one of my cards is playing in a obvious str8.
4. Many marginal pot odd situations.

I can't tell you how many times I've hit, pumped it, and was shown a better str8, flush, or full house. If this comes out as tight, then it gives me a good image to buy a few marginal hands when I'm heads up or against a couple of players. But betting into a field with marginal outs is a costly mistake.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:37 PM

Default I´m not really a mid-limit player...

but I think it´s calling instead of folding, and that counts for all limits (also see Sklansky´s "The eight mistakes" essay)