Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Is this an automatic bet?

This is a recurring difficult situation for me. My opponent is unknown and the turn pairs the board. If I had an Ace, I would gladly bet the turn and call what seems to be the inevitable checkraise and the river bet. With less than top pair, I am reluctant to bet because it will pain me greatly to be checkraised (I would hate folding to the raise and I would hate calling the raise and then the river bet).
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (5.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

Turn: (3.70 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.70 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

Final Pot: 5.70 BB

Is it wrong to check behind on the turn?

If so, what do you do when you bet and get checkraised?

Thanks,
Cartman
Old 04-11-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: similar hand

HAND 2.

This one is very similar. Would you treat it any differently?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.40 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (3.70 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (3.70 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 5.70 BB
Old 04-11-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Is this an automatic bet?

I would bet-fold the turn. You have to put in 1 more bet in this hand and there is a credible draw on the flop. If you are check-raised, you have an easy fold.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:41 AM

This hand is an even clearer turn bet. Don't give a free card to straight draws and weaker queens.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:41 AM

I bet the turn. Based on reads, I either fold to the cr or call down. The problem with checking is that your hand is very vunerable and some large % of the time, villian will fold a hand that is drawing pretty live.

If you had KK, the check would be better.

Krishan
Old 04-11-2005, 11:45 AM

Hand 1.
Against an unknown, I bet the turn, call the checkraise and call the river. I will THEN have the start of a read.

Hand 2
Is not even remotely similar in my opinion. There are NO overcards that can come that beat you if you are currently ahead and there is no flush draw for your opponent to have called the flop with. In this case, I "may" check behind because a K is more likely. However, most of the time I will bet, call the raise and call river as above to further a read.

Against "known" players these are NOT the automatic plays.
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Trevor
Old 04-11-2005, 11:45 AM

Jeff,

On the AQ hand, how do you handle a checkraise?

Thanks,
Cartman
Old 04-11-2005, 11:51 AM

Definately bet the turn in both. In both hands your opponent is calling with any piece of the board. Your opponent hasn't shown any strength by check-calling the flop and checking the turn so bet again don't give him a cheap river.

If you are check-raised in hand 1 I'd fold as an Ace or a seven beats you. As for hand 2 I think this is tougher, however I would lean towards calling down as opponents at 5/10 like to bluff these kinds of turn cards.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:54 AM

I would call. Then I would check and call.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:26 PM

Hand 1 is a coin flip. What could he have called the flop with paired 3 is unlikely 7 more likely weak ace more probable. PP lower then a a 9 also a chance flush draw again less likely, backdoor flush, str8 draw.
I would mostly bet the turn check the river fold to a raise.

Hand 2 is completly diff. A bet is mandatory. Tons of draws worse Q's etc.