Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Deep 1/2 Is Fun

1/2 NL, Binion's, No-Max Buy-In

I have about $500 to start the hand and villian has me covered.

Read on villian: has not played many hands so far, but the hands he's played he's played aggressively and well. He also mentioned about 30 mins before the hand in question that his favorite hand to play is QJ.

The hand: I'm in the CO and limp with the J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] after 4 other limpers (multiway limped pots were not uncommon). Button folds, and the blinds stick around.

We see the flop: ($14)

7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

It checks to me, and I bet the pot ($14). BB (villian) calls, and so does one other MP player.

Turn: (about $60 in pot)

T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villian bets out the pot, $60. MP folds, and it's up to me. After some time deliberating my options, I call and the river is:

2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (with about $180 in the pot).

Villian pushes all-in. So now I'm left with a decision for a call of over $400 for a likely split or a less likely, and very costly loss. I fold after a few short moments.

My question regards the turn play. What the best line and subsequent river plan given a club falls, a heart, a J, or a blank.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:11 AM

Default Re: Deep 1/2 Is Fun

Turn:
Raise to find out what he has. For most people who play that low of a limit, all you have to do is raise them and they'll pretty much automatically tell you what they have. You need to work on your reading skills if you don't know what the other person has around 80% of the time in a game like this.

River:
100% read-dependent. There are 2 types of bad players. The first type goes all-in on the river whenever they have tne nuts. The other type will never go all-in on the river if they have the nuts. They will instead bet less and try to milk you. All you have to do is figure out which type villain is (not hard) and then you will know if he has the nuts or not.

As a side note, without any other reads, the fact that villain said his favorite hand is QJ 30 mins ago makes it even more probable that he doesn't have the nuts on this hand. Do you see why?