Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: poker strategy blog

And this is exactly why thousands of people are blocked from recieving usefull information, simply because some ignorant know-it-alls decide to negatively comment on everything.

You have seemingly completely ignored my response, which is fine because its your choice. But that doesn't mean you have to create a negative aura around this post.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:04 PM

When you talk of the true sense of skill, are you referring to that which has become automatic through countless hours of repeated use? The ideas ingrained into our mind through continued repetition?
Old 04-07-2005, 10:05 PM

The countless hours of repeated use lead to a semi-instinctive mechanical response which every good poker player should accomplish after at least six months of playing. Beyond this there is reverse-psychology strategy where one tries to think as the opponent observing themselves. This level is hard to reach in consistency and even harder to maintain.

Beyond that level there is the development of "gut feeling", or clarvoyance and psychic. This development is cultivated with the use of Zazen, first stages of which I already posted. Deepened practice of Zazen leads to self-actualization. The barrier to these levels for most people is their mind-bounded ideas and fears such as greed, ego-mania, narrowmindeness and others. These are all illusions within and their departure will allow one to progress to a higher intelligence thinking and perception.

I have posted some instructions for live and online poker Zen in this page .
Old 04-08-2005, 05:50 PM

I think this is useful for poker, but much moreso for life in general. It is no coincidence that all the truly happy(at peace with themselves and the world) in history follow a life of simplicity for material things while reaching for a state of total consciousness.

There is also a reason why a person like T. Angelo is so well respected, not only for his writing abilities, but for his ability to have a Zen-like attitude at the tables even when committing questionable strategic plays.

[ QUOTE ]
I will leave your thread now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Promises, promises.

DN
Old 04-08-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will post a few simple instructions for (at first) live games in order to achieve what I described before.

When not in a hand sit up straight and gaze onto some spot on the felt that is not in use. Try to relax your mind and face and simply count your breaths (one for "in" and two for "out) up to 10 and then start over. (Early practice of Zazen) Ignore all other thoughts but do not force them away. If you do this for an hour everytime you are not in the hand you might be able to achieve the nessessary mindset that I have described above. This is especially helpful when you consider yourself to be on tilt or emotionally involved in the game.
Mr. Miyagi
The League
http://www.TheLeagueNY.com

[/ QUOTE ]

fixed your post
Old 04-09-2005, 08:51 AM

Yeah, you're right. It's hard to leave when this guy is full of shjt.

Here's an exerpt from his blog:

"Live Game instructions: When not in a hand sit up straight and gaze onto some spot on the felt that is not in use. Try to relax your mind and face and simply count your breaths (one for "in" and two for "out) up to 10 and then start over. (Early practice of Zazen) Ignore all other thoughts but do not force them away. If you do this for an hour everytime you are not in the hand you might be able to achieve the nessessary mindset that I have described above. This is especially helpful when you consider yourself to be on tilt or emotionally involved in the game."

If you are going to ignore everything at a live table, you might as well play online. There are many things to consider, such as how others are betting, what kind of hands they play, loose or tight, etc.

You can still shut out thoughts about your job, past due bills, other problems, future plans, etc. You still need to concentrate on the game.

Applying zen to poker does not mean you become a doofus at the table and stare into space.

I've been a bowling and poker tournament player. Playing in he "zone" does not mean you daydream or go into a trance or notpay attention to what's going on. It does mean that you play effortless. It also does not mean you consciously count breaths and shjt like that. By conciously doing anything, you are forcing.

You need to practice meditation away from the game so you can apply it effortlessly at the game.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:11 PM

The way that works for one does not necessarily work for others. While this thread may not do anything for you, it might be helping others. This would be a much more constructive and positive place if people encouraged others' ways of presenting ideas rather than denouncing them when they are presented in ways that differ from the way in which they learned them.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:56 AM

Ok, please explain how NOT paying attention to other players' activity in a live game is +EV for you...
Old 04-10-2005, 09:01 PM

I think its obvious that I am not advising people NOT to observe their opponents. On the first levels of poker strategy it is esential to observe your opponents all the time. However since this post was aimed at seasoned semi-pro or professinals who have put in thousands of hours of poker, we are assuming that a) these players have already been playing a 5-10 hour session, b) they are already familiar with their "regular" opponents' style of play and c) that most players do not like to volunteraly sit out of the game for the 15-20 mins required for some kind of zazen practice.

Also, FYI "meditation" is something different, I have not said that word once, yet you insist on using it out of context. It doesn't seem like you even know what Zazen is, otherwise you would not make that mistake.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:34 AM

Tek's posts in this thread are a lot more logical