Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2003, 05:03 PM

Default Big Draw to the Nuts

Another fun hand at a pretty tough $2/4 PP table.

I'm in CO, Stu Pidasso has the button and kdog is BB.

I get Ah 8h.

UTG calls, UTG+1 Raises, 1 EP and 1 MP call, I call, as does the button, BB, and UTG. 7 players and $29 in the pot.

Flop is 6h 3h Qs giving me a nut flush draw. Checked to the pre-flop raiser who bets, EP folds, MP raise, I call, button folds, BB checkraises, UTG calls, UTG+1 caps, everybody calls. I would have semi-bluff raised if MP didn't, but didn't think that 3 betting here made any sense with a draw. Should I have 3 bet? 5 players still in a pot that has grown to $69 or just over 17 BB.

Turn is 7c [6h 3h Qs] No help. BB bets, all call. Everybody must have been worn out from the flop betting. Still 5 players and $89 (22 BB) in the pot.

River is Th [7c 6h 3h Qs] No SF possible, I have the nuts, checked to MP who bets, he must have a smaller flush. I thought about calling to give the 3 remaining players to act the chance to overcall, but decided that raising would be the most profitable play. BB folded, UTG cold called, EP folded and MP called. As such I did do as well if everybody called. Would have anybody have just called here? I win a $110 (27 BB) pot.

UTG had a flopped set of 3's, kdog (BB) later told me he had AA for 4th place, MP had a K high flush. UTG+1 probably had AQ or KK. I believe that If the BB 3 bets his AA pre-flop, most likely, I'm out of there along with MP and UTG and he would have won. Any thoughts on reraising vs. cold calling with AA?
Old 02-19-2003, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Big Draw to the Nuts

Stop cold-calling pre-flop raises with A8s.

The post-flop play is all basic with only minor differences between raising the river and going for overcalls.

AA should have reraised pre-flop and folded on the river.

Old 02-19-2003, 06:39 PM

I know its generally bad practice to coldcall the raise here, but with 4 people already in and if you can anticipate the blinds and maybe another calling as well ... don't you have the odds to call with this hand?

Also, although I think AA should have re-raised ... I really doubt it would have changed anything since he was in the blind and everyone already had 2 bets in and would be foolish to fold to one more at that point. Granted if the original raiser caps it, the situation might be a little different.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:18 PM

with 4 people already in and if you can anticipate the blinds and maybe another calling as well ... don't you have the odds to call with this hand?

Can you answer that question yourself? What's the odds of flopping a flush draw with Ah8h?

Old 02-19-2003, 08:43 PM

The odds of flopping a flush draw don't change with the rank of your two suited cards.

and quit calling preflop raises with A8s!

-Scott
Old 02-19-2003, 08:51 PM

Is it like about 7.5:1?

Old 02-19-2003, 09:42 PM

The odds of flopping a 4-flush are 8.14:1. The odds of flopping a flush are 117.79:1. The combined odds are 7.48:1.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:50 PM

The odds of floping a flush are .8% and a four flush 10.9% or a total of 11.7%. You will also flop a split 2 pair 2.02% and 3 of a kind(or better) about 1.45% Basically the odds of getting a favorable flop are right around 5.5 to 1.

When you have A8s and there is a raise in front of you. It's usually not worth playing because

A) The raiser likely dominates your hand. If you hit the flop, you might get handcuffed only to find your second best.

B) Your hand thrives on implied odds. Each preflop raise crushes those implied odds. You may have to call additional raises behind you, which would absolutely destroy your implied odds. In the example hand of this thread, the person with AA should be raising as much as possible preflop to crush the implied odds of the speculative hands. It's a disaster to miss putting in raises preflop with AA in a multiway pot.

Can you cold call a raise with A8s? Not very often.

Hope this helps

Stu
Old 02-19-2003, 10:02 PM

UTG calls, UTG+1 Raises, 1 EP and 1 MP call, I call, as does the button

UTG plays 33. A raise gets 4 cold callers.

a pretty tough $2/4 PP table.

What would you consider soft?

Old 02-19-2003, 10:30 PM

OK, OK, message received. Kdog did want me to post a hand that was embarassing to me for a change.

I need to think more about this with respect to implied odds. TTOP doesn't specifically cover this situation. Does this mean that I need to have the expectation of winning at least 7.5 BB to call or is it 22.5? Do I need to consider the possible flop and turn bets? I know that Dynasty's posts are designed to make you think it through yourself rather that spoon feeding the answers. But the math involved is not clear to me. Could someone help me understand how I would properly calculate this?