Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Unsure of HU play in unraised pot

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (2.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (4.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

No real read on villain.

I think the flop and turn are standard, not sure whether the river call is right.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Unsure of HU play in unraised pot

Good play. You cant fold the river if you want to stay at the table. I always look for players like that who bet the flop &amp; turn and check-fold the river. If I stay long enough calling (with a draw or something) I ALWAYS bet the river with nothing. If my bluff gets called its OK b/c ppl will call easier my good hands afterwards. If I get bluff-raised then I am at the wrong table.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:34 PM

Nice hand, I think check/calling the river is kosher
Old 04-10-2005, 01:26 PM

I think the check/call line is okay, but only because a lot of guys will be bluffing that river once you check trying to get you to fold. I always prefer the more aggressive play, and I think a bet on the river would certainly be worthwhile.

Alex
Old 04-10-2005, 01:50 PM

Raise preflop. The hand is much easier to play then. I only suggest this with a heads up pot and you being the BB or SB. (if everyone else folds to you in SB) Anytime you have an Ace and it's heads up, you should raise--especially a suited Ace. Had you raised preflop, you might have been able to take down the pot with a bet on the flop and turn.

Will you win the river 1 - 5 times? If so, call. The pot's not that big that this is an auto call IMO.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Raise preflop. The hand is much easier to play then. I only suggest this with a heads up pot and you being the BB or SB. (if everyone else folds to you in SB) Anytime you have an Ace and it's heads up, you should raise--especially a suited Ace. Had you raised preflop, you might have been able to take down the pot with a bet on the flop and turn.

Will you win the river 1 - 5 times? If so, call. The pot's not that big that this is an auto call IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise preflop OOP against an unknown when I'm probably going to have to check fold my hand 2 times out of 3? Even if I do catch a 7 it's probably not going to be top pair so I'll have to play cautiously.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:04 AM

First of all, this is an autoraise for me preflop. Anybody who limps first in on the CO is weak as piss. Saying that, the hand would then play differently but, as you played it postflop I would do the same. Check-call the river to snap off bluffs.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, this is an autoraise for me preflop. Anybody who limps first in on the CO is weak as piss. Saying that, the hand would then play differently but, as you played it postflop I would do the same. Check-call the river to snap off bluffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you leading flops that don't hit you after your preflop raise? I can understand the play if you're going to lead at flops with a face card in them trying to get him to fold his 1 overcard or undercards.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you leading flops that don't hit you after your preflop raise? I can understand the play if you're going to lead at flops with a face card in them trying to get him to fold his 1 overcard or undercards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heads up play is tricky. My play is always dependent on my opponent, less on the cards. For this reason I don't multi-table, as I believe that you can learn a great deal from these situations, particularly if your goal is to move up levels.
To answer your question, it depends. With my only read on this player being that he's weak, I bet out. If I knew that he was the type of player to bet if I checked, then I would checkraise. Always put your opponent to a decision if you can.