Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Cold call a river raise on the river with top pair ?

MP is loose-aggressive, he was all-in at one stage but has had a good run of cards to build back up. No reads on BB

I think I really screwed this hand up...

Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP calls, Hero calls.

Should I have raised ? I really didnt see how he would bet out on the turn with anything I beat...
River: (7.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero ??

I really didnt know what to do here, turn card makes the straight even more likely and I could be behind to a raggedy two pair or set, is folding correct ?

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
Old 04-10-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Cold call a river raise on the river with top pair ?

I would fold. Usually in 1-2 when someone leads out a bet on the turn when they have been checking it means they have just hit a hand (straight or set in this case), combine this with the fact that MP is raising on the river, I think makes this an easy fold. Also, there is a chance that this could get capped as well.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:58 PM

definetely fold the river
Old 04-10-2005, 02:10 PM

Yeah looking at it again the fold is pretty clear cut. It's just that the BB folded to the raise too and that threw me off entirely, but with no read on the BB I had to fold.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:25 PM

If you just called this turn because you figure you are behind, then it shouldnt matter that the river was raised or not, you should have been planning to fold anyway.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:41 PM

I was planing on calling down (If MP hadn't raised the river) after BB bet out the turn. MP had shown to me he would call down with any peice of the board. I had no reads on BB so I wasn't entirely sure I was behind. Is this totally out of line ?
Old 04-10-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was planing on calling down (If MP hadn't raised the river) after BB bet out the turn. MP had shown to me he would call down with any peice of the board. I had no reads on BB so I wasn't entirely sure I was behind. Is this totally out of line ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you think you are ahead enough to warrent a call down, I would have thought about a raise. Unless the guy is aggro and will 3 bet you with a crappy 2 pair I prolly raise this. Im less likely to think you are behind, because why is he betting into you instead of checkraising you?
Old 04-10-2005, 03:50 PM

The thing is though the guy had just sat down and I had nothing on him. I felt calling down would be the most +ev option in these circumstances as I really didn't know where I stood.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:04 PM

Calling down is fine why raise? Let the guy bet his weaker hands.

If you are ahead he probably folds and if you are behind you waste an extra bet.

Of course you fold this on the river, you didnt have control of the hand and it was raised, with you still to act.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you just called this turn because you figure you are behind, then it shouldnt matter that the river was raised or not, you should have been planning to fold anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

zactly.