Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Lost starting at the flop

After the pre-flop, I'm completely lost, so feel free to scold me on any street.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

I should have check-raised here.

Turn: (10 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

I thought betting out here was best, especially to test the waters with the BB. My call of his raise was for flush purposes and the slight chance that my top pair is good.

River: (20 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, Hero calls, BB calls.

Instead of my flush, I now have trips, so I bet out again. Raised. 3-bet. Do you call the two bets?

Final Pot: 32 BB
Old 04-09-2005, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Lost starting at the flop

Flop: You know what you should have done already.

Turn: Tough to say. Betting out gives you the best chance to protect your hand, if BB raises you. A c/r pumps the pot for your 2nd nut flush draw, and you aren't going to get rid of the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] anyway. So I can see merits &amp; drawbacks to either line...probably one of those cases where it doesn't matter a whole lot. However, I think this is a case where you can 3-bet when it comes back to you still 5-handed. You probably have mad pot equity with TPGK+the flush draw+gutshot.

River:
[ QUOTE ]
Instead of my flush, I now have trips, so I bet out again. Raised. 3-bet. Do you call the two bets?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. The pot is friggin' huge, and all UTG+2's 3-bet means is that he's got the case K. He did not raise preflop, which makes it unlikely that he has you outkicked (although KT or K9 would obviously hurt you). BB will also pay off with his AA (that was what he had, right?), helping to pad things when you do end up losing.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Lost starting at the flop

Thanks, Harv. You were right on about BB; he had AA. UTG+2 had 99 for the boat on the river and MP3 had KJo like me.