Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2005, 03:19 PM

Default AQ from the blind

$100 NL live with 2-3 blinds, 10 handed. I have a tight table image. Standard table raise is $10-$15, but it's not uncommon to have 5-7 limpers with no raises. Everyone's stack is in the $80-$120 range (except for me - I have about $200)

Folded to UTG +2 - a loose player who plays aggressive on the flop, and passive post-flop. He raises to $20 and announces that he has a small pair, so he only wants to play against one player. He does not seem overly smart or tricky, so this may very well be true.

Called by MP1 (I haven't seen him play past the flop, so I have no read on him).

Called by MP3 (loose passive).

Called by button (reasonable player)

I'm in small blind with AQo. I...?
Old 04-09-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: AQ from the blind

I would fold, there is ~60 in the pot and you haft to call ~20. You are out of position and the pot is so big that someone is likly to push the flop.

I would wait for a premium starting hand and try to get it in pre flop as the table seem to be very loose preflop.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:25 PM

I did fold, and only kicked myself a little when the loose passive's QTs won a big pot when it hit a Q (the initial raiser told the truth and was playing a small pair).

What if the initial raise was only $10? Still fold, or re-reraise to limit the field? If re-raise, how much?
Old 04-09-2005, 09:42 PM

Call and get it in on a A-high or Q-high flop. Open-push or checkraise; whatever you think will get the money in best.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:50 AM

"Called by MP1 (I haven't seen him play past the flop, so I have no read on him). "

Isn't this a read? You have not seen him see a flop and he just called a raise of almost 7X the big blind.

Given the call by this guy and the reasonable player, I don't think AQo is looking very good here. I also think it is likely the original raiser does not have a small pair. He may not be tricky or smart, but it doesn't take a genius to do this with aces or kings.

Your position is great, you are calling 20% of the average stack with a hand the is almost definatly needs to improve to win, while possible being dominated.

I think this is a really easy fold. If you had AK, I think this would be a lot more interesting question.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:00 AM

Is this a joke advice post?