Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2005, 10:58 PM

Default HYPOTHETICAL AK HAND.......

Lets assume we are playing a NL cash game....blinds of $3 and $5 We dont have much information on the players so we assume typical conditions. Lets further assume each player has around $500 each. We pick up AK UTG and raise to $20....and get 3 callers. Both blinds fold.

The flop is Kxx.....and the two blanks are both hearts. We do not have a heart in our hand. We bet roughly the pot....$80....and 2 callers come with us.

The turn is a baby...but it puts the dreaded third heart on board. The pot is now $320...and we have roughly $400 left. Now heres the problem....do we fire one more time with a bet of say $175 and see what happens? If we do bet and a big raise comes at us we can probably fold with a clear conscience. Or do we check? If we check we can then be moved off the best hand by someone representing the made flush. Checking and calling seems terrible....as does checking and folding to a moderate bet with a pot of over $300. I like to be aggressive and bet in this spot...its just the way I prefer to play. I would like to hear other ideas and thoughts on how this situation could be handled differently.....
Old 04-09-2005, 11:10 PM

Default Re: HYPOTHETICAL AK HAND.......

With two callers, do you put them both on underpairs/kings?

The second caller reduces the chance you will be bet off the worst hand on a stone bluff.

Check/fold.

I'd love to be incorrect on this one, but continuing with a one pair hands , when you were called on the flop, with an obvious draw, seems rather silly once that draw comes in.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:12 AM

Location: Chicago, IL. Born, Raised, and in Chicago, I\'ll Die.
Default Re: HYPOTHETICAL AK HAND.......

I say check/fold as well.

The heart's a problem and when 3 people calling a 4BB raise PF, there's no such thing as a blank when 2 people call a K hi flop. Then, the 3rd heart hits. All you can beat is QQ or KQ that's conceivable here and just about anything else is conceivable.