Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2005, 11:30 PM

Default Do you call this ? QQ in SB

.10/.25 NL

Hero has $24
Villain has $23

Hero raises to .75 (I know, very weak)
BB folds
Villain calls in EP
MP1 calls
MP2 calls
Co calls
LP calls

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] pot=4.50
Hero bets $2
Villain raises all-in $22.25
All fold
Hero folds

Good ?
I had no reads on him. I was 3-tabling.

To me, he might have thought I would call that because I just bet $2. I'm not sure. I'm not sure what he thought of me. However, he had to worry about the other 3 guys behind him calling if they had a 9. This was the reason I folded. I've seen guys do this with flush draws so I did think for a second. The other 3 guys folding kind of confirmed that he probably had the 9. Also, I didn't raise enough preflop to isolate only 1 or 2 players. I just hate flops like this. Anyone have advice for playing overpairs on a paired flop ?
Old 04-09-2005, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Do you call this ? QQ in SB

Overpairs out of position suck ass, the only way to gather what hand he could possibly have is to raise more pre-flop....he also might put you on like AK...but I don't see myself calling...
Old 04-09-2005, 11:42 PM

If villain had a 9, wouldn't he try to extract some value at some point? Feels like 88-JJ here. I probably call.

The Doc
Old 04-09-2005, 11:48 PM

automuck, not worth it to find out IMO.. I've seen a lot of people make this play and too many times I've thought myself into calling a similar bet only to see what I didn't believe. any reads?
Old 04-09-2005, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Overpairs out of position suck ass, the only way to gather what hand he could possibly have is to raise more pre-flop....he also might put you on like AK...but I don't see myself calling...

[/ QUOTE ]

Position means nothing if someone is all in, but yeah, I agree. I usually call this.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:49 AM

Don't forget. This is .10/.25 NL . ONly $25 buy-in . I showed strength on the flop. Not unbelievable strength, though. He might be thinking that I will actually call this. That is my first thought. He ended up taking $40 with him when he left but it wasn't my money he left with. No reads on him, though. I have to stop 3 tabling. These situations would be easier.

So 2 of you would call ? I did ponder a call. You think he has JJ or TT ? Remember he limped in preflop and then called my raise. I think he has A9, K9 or something. How could he not worry about the 2 or 3 behind him that could possibly have a 9 ? So I put him on a 9. Maybe I'm not thinking dumb enough, though.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:10 AM

Ok, let me revise my statement from before a little bit.

I'll first add the caveat that people always seem to attach to responses to your posts; namely, I wouldn't have gotten myself into this spot in the first place. I would have raised to a real amount preflop, probably $1.25 or so, and bet the full pot on the flop. Then I could be more sure that he has a real hand when he plays back at me.

Given that I've played the hand as you did, his raise doesnt make sense for the hand you're putting him on. Let's say he has really good trips, like A9 or K9. He's going to want to actually make some money with the hand, and so while he should raise (to drive out any flush draws behind him), pushing is just about the worst idea possible. What he WANTS to do is get it heads up with you, the preflop aggressor. Why, you ask? A few reasons:

1. Unless you have EXACTLY Ah Kh or Ah Qh, he doesn't need to worry about a flush draw.
2. He probably has you drawing to two outs (if you have a pocket pair) or even slimmer if you have unpaired overs.
3. He assumes you have the "its my pot" mentality and will try to defend it at all costs.

Pushing accomplishes none of those goals. Thus I can't see him pushing with trips. Most likely he has a pocket pair between the 5 and 9 and wants to take down the pot before any overs or a heart fall.

If it's my last $25 on earth I don't call. If I'm properly bankrolled, I probably call. But then again, in my universe the pot would be bigger to begin with, so I'd be more interested in it.

The Doc
Old 04-10-2005, 02:33 AM

In my universe scantily clad women press the buttons for me

[ QUOTE ]
But then again, in my universe the pot would be bigger to begin with,

[/ QUOTE ]

great line, doc. hats off.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:41 AM

do you mean you're UTG not SB?
Old 04-10-2005, 05:44 PM

Last year, when I first started playing small stakes NL, I played trips this way. I got called a lot.