Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2003, 10:04 AM

Default Re: My plan

The original poster specifically talks baout a situation with 2-3 players.

I don't think folding to a checkraise (you're in the blinds, so It'll likely be a raise) on the turn is a mistake. But not betting out definately is most of the time. In passive games it's hard to bet out against a larger field, but in agressive games I'll bet out almost every time in with a paired A from the blinds. How often will there really be another A out there? Odds are that two A's have been dealt after the flop: you have one and the other is on the board. You also have outs to improve with a weak kicker: Often overcards to both kickers will give you a split pot, you can pick up two pair, or the board pairs for a split.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:40 AM

I like the idea of betting into 1 or 2 others when no one raised preflop.
But then if there are 3-4 others, do you fold when someone from late
position bets? Do you call down the bettor? Remember, you are early
so you won't be checkraised, but you might be raised if you bet.

I think I agree with most that the checkraise is too cute. So maybe bet once on the flop against few (and check call one bet against many) bet once on the turn against few (and check call against many if the board is benign) and check call rivers when it is not scary for one bet.

thanks,

Mark
Old 02-19-2003, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Ax from the blinds

If I have AJ-A9o and I'm bet in to by the blinds, I'll call the flop and turn bet. If I don't improve but the board doesn't pair or show a possible flush, then I'll bet/raise the river.

You should often raise on the flop here, to limit the field. If checked to on the turn you should probably bet 90% of the time, and if you called on the flop, you should quite often raise the turn (your read is that your up against a weak ace: he'll often call to the river even against a turn raise). You should also consider raising often when a flush or a pair falls on the turn.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:48 AM

So maybe bet once on the flop against few (and check call one bet against many)

Where is the advantage of check calling with a large field? You are likely to get more people folding to an early bet than a late one and what if checked around and a scary card falls on the turn - now your top pair is suddenly facing a scary board against a large field and you've practically played yourself into a check/fold situation.

TOP PAIR WITH A WEAK ACE IS ONLY WEAK IF THERE IS ANOTHER ACE OUT THERE!