Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2005, 07:55 PM

Default Sklansky\'s System

David talks about a simple system he devised in his Tournament Poker book to give a young girl a chance in the WSOP ME (fun little story). Out of curiosity, has anyone tried this, or any modification of it?
Old 04-09-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Sklansky\'s System

nope, nobody has tried it
Old 04-09-2005, 09:29 PM

I have and did quite well. Made it to the beginning of the third day. This wasn't recent though.

It's a very viable method and with some adjustments, it's much stronger than one might think.

Perhaps David will comment on it, it's his creation.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have and did quite well. Made it to the beginning of the third day. This wasn't recent though.

It's a very viable method and with some adjustments, it's much stronger than one might think.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me very much of Magic tournaments, where people would often buy the pieces to the "netdeck" created by a pro and reproduced on the internet. This led to the game becoming a rock/paper/scissors exercise at the bigger tournaments, with people simply putting together a deck of someone else's creation and even reading the pro's strategy of "how to play the deck".

It might be interesting to attend a poker tournament where different players are all playing different (but fairly simplistic) "systems" that they read on the internet and memorized. Not interesting for long, but interesting.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What knocked you out? What was your chip count? Were you ever called before you got knocked out?
Old 04-09-2005, 10:43 PM

Chip count was 1/4 below average or so.

Hand that I left with was my AA to a set of sixes.

I wish David would comment on his idea...not pure folly. We made what we made some adjustments to the method that were somewhat complicated yet easy to employ. Few judgement calls as I remember...it was actually impressive.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 04-10-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish there was some real money in the game. Too bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just open your own card shop. Amazing how much you can charge people who need specific cards days before an event and ones ordered online won't come in time.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:11 AM

just for the record, i played mtg for 9 years [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]!

i had a 1930 constructed rating and an 1850 limit rating. i was dealing cards for quite a while too.

ive been retired for over a year now. thank god. although i do miss it sometimes, its alot of fun and mentally stimulating. i dont have the interest in dedicating my time to learning the game all over though of course, with poker being my priority now.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:37 AM

Against a mediocre or better field Sklansky's system is a -EV. You cannot play poker nor poker tournaments by rote and expect to be a winner. The concept is sound in that it reduces the better players edge vs the weaker player that utilizes the system but it does not nullify that edge nor does it produce an edge over a thinking, observant novice that plays fairly well.

Vince