Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 06:20 PM

Default Re: smallest limits at Bicycle and Commerce?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you're just looking to get familiar with a table this is a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree.

[ QUOTE ]
if you're looking for realistic poker, I'd suggest starting with AT LEAST 2/4.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know what you mean by "realistic," but if it involves people folding, as you seem to suggest, you're going to have to go a lot higher than 2/4. The 9/18 games at Commerce are loser than Party .5/1.

[ QUOTE ]
you'll have 7 or 8 to the flop every time (especially in the notoriously loose LA cardrooms) and will find that even if you wait for premium hands you're going to get sucked out constantly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, I'm going to stop reading now.

[ QUOTE ]
A $100 bankroll is more than sufficient for a 2/4 table assuming you're going to play sound poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ugh, okay I tried to stop reading, but this line caught my eye. This is ridiculous. NOW I'm stopping.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) While I like a nice loose table, when money doesn't mean anything to the people at the table (as in at a 1/2 table) you're going to get called down constantly with rags that will hit more often than not. The comment about wanting 2 to the flop is a bit on the othe extreme. I like a nice loose table but I like the bet size to be significant enough to make people at least take the bets somewhat seriously. That's why I suggested the kid at least move up to 2/4 to get out of the "lowest limit" cellar.

2) Obviously higher limits would be better.. .but he stated before that he doesn't have much of a bankroll... In my experience 2/4 plays significantly better than 1/2 (bingo). Sure it's not as good of a game as 5/10 or 6/12, but its' going to be better than 1/2

3) What is wrong with sitting with a rack at a 2/4 table? When I used to play that limit that is what I'd sit with and it was almost always more than enough to endure the swings and ensure a winning session. Would you sit with less or more? Sitting with 2 racks at 2/4 is a bit overkill unless you're just looking to splash around and sitting with much less than 80 bucks could put you very short after a couple big pots.

I've enjoyed a lot of your posts on this board but you're being a bit of cocky little prick here....
Old 04-08-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Commerce has 1/2.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're just looking to get familiar with a table this is a good idea. However if you're looking for realistic poker, I'd suggest starting with AT LEAST 2/4. 1/2 is true no foldem holdem.... you'll have 7 or 8 to the flop every time (especially in the notoriously loose LA cardrooms) and will find that even if you wait for premium hands you're going to get sucked out constantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you can't beat bad players then how are you gonna beat good players?
Old 04-08-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1) While I like a nice loose table, when money doesn't mean anything to the people at the table (as in at a 1/2 table) you're going to get called down constantly with rags that will hit more often than not.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what makes the game so profitable. However I imagine the rake blows.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Commerce and The Bike both have 1/2, and I prefer the Bike game.

[/ QUOTE ] Alright that's settled then: I'm going to the Bike tonight!!
Old 04-09-2005, 12:21 AM

100 is a nice buy in for 2/4, but its a horrible BR.

ROR would be astronomical with a BR or 100
Old 04-09-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
isn't that precisely what Ed Miller explains is a mistake? My understanding is that the more your opponents make mistakes the more you can capitalize on them. Please feel free to develop.

[/ QUOTE ]
exactly
Old 04-09-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I've been beating the $1-3 (spread) game at the Excalibur consistently

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, the 1-3 game blows. Play the 2-6 if you're at Excal. At least you'll qualify for the bad beat jackpot.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:22 PM

I'm not sure... what do you guys mean when you say a game "blows" or a game is a "good game"? The $1-3 is SO easy to beat... I make an average $15/hr over there (after about 30hrs) , which is the most I've ever won at poker.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:24 PM

It's a spread limit game. You can still bet $2 if you want to or you can flop quads and raise it to $6. The players are equally as bad as the 1-3, but the rake is a smaller % of the total pot AND you qualify for the jackpot.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:32 PM

Not to bust your bubble (I'm sure the game is good), but your hourly rate for 30 hrs in a game means less than nothing.

Jeff