Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Bet out on the flop?

I have been doing stuff like this lately, but not into this many people.

My thinking is that I am calling one bet back to me anyway and then looking at the turn. Especially with a ragged board like this it is not unusual to end up headsup after betting out. If you do happen to get popped, you pretty much know where you stand. If I had a BDFD, I would probably bet out in this situation.

I generally don't do this stuff when there is a draw on the board that I don't have.

So anyway, I don't think this is bad (with all the usual caveats, such as the other players are not habitual calling stations or overly aggressive maniacs). I just think that you have to have a reason to believe that several of these guys will fold.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:56 PM

I will bet this flop sometimes but it depends on my reads, and by reads I mean 5 VPIPs, PFRs, and % went to showdown numbers.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

This line has merits in some situations. Table image is a part of it as well. If you're constantly making these bets and not getting to showdown/giving up on the turn people will start raising you lighter on the flop and peeling more liberally.

Checkraising if it gets checked to an aggro button is often a better line.

Never or always making this bet is worse than "sometimes."

scrub
Old 04-08-2005, 05:09 PM

Another consideration is the UTG limper.

Many reasonable stats players' limping distributions UTG are heavily enriched with KQo/QJs/JTs.

scrub
Old 04-08-2005, 05:32 PM

I'm just curious and there's no disrespect intended. You're playing 15-30, so you've been faced with this flop situation many, many times. What is it that you're wondering about?
Old 04-08-2005, 05:36 PM

I was reviewing HPFAP and when I saw the hand, it was pretty different from my standard line so I wanted to know what other people thought.

My standard line in this situation would be to check and:
If SB bets, fold.
If button bets, depending on his stats, CR.
If anyone else bets, call.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just curious and there's no disrespect intended. You're playing 15-30, so you've been faced with this flop situation many, many times. What is it that you're wondering about?

[/ QUOTE ]

2 things:

(1) Kurosh hasn't played that much 15/30--he's just starting out in the game.

(2) Looking at seemingly routine hands is more likely to help posters improve than looking at the hand where they tried to checkraise flopped quads on 3 streets.

scrub
Old 04-08-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think very few chronic multitablers think about this kind of flop decision, and they're giving up more than they would have thought.

I don't want to suggest that kurosh is a chronic multitabler since I know basically nothing about his history/experience/skill. But when playing 4+ tables and just glancing at this hand I think most will click the "Fold to any bet" button too often.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:33 PM

Check and Raise only option.......and that is crazy at that. I might cr if everyone checks and position bets. See what their numbers are and maybe raise to keep then guessing.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:59 PM

Thanks. I'm glad my question was respectfully addressed by the responders because I honestly didn't get it. All things being equal, I like betting out for 2 reasons.

One is because, when you check, it's easy to be pushed off what may be the best hand by looking at 2 bets from aggressive players with squat. They know you're probably way more likely to call 1 bet back to you rather than 2. So in a sense it's a form of protection by bluffers other than free card plays.

Second is because you can't be predictable and I think leading out with bottom pair is in the same family of being aggressive as when you raise with 2 overs and a gut shot to drive others out.

You're ready to play and you're betting. It forces others to rationalize this with all you're other actions.