Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 07:10 AM

Default Re: 2/4 NL on party

It is about 3/4 of the pot. I would expect this would give you the best chance of being called. I would be tempted to check it here though. Your flush is very well hidden. I think that one or both of the other players will bet for you. What does everyone else think about this?
Old 04-08-2005, 12:20 PM

UTG+1 folds, CO raises to 300. i?
Old 04-08-2005, 03:37 PM

I call. This has less to do with his hand than what he thinks you have. He figures you can't have a flush. There was no draw on the flop. Pushing is out of the question as he could have filled up. But it is $150 more into about a 360 dollar pot. To make this a correct call you only have to be right once out of every 3 times and i think this will be the case. If I had to guess, he has kq.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so would you say my call on the turn was suspect?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say your call is neutral. But the CO's minraise on the flop and underbet on the turn just smells fishy to me.

I'd check call the river and not be at all surprised to see 55.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:54 PM

I'm maybe done with hand on flop, and I'm definitely done with hand on the turn.

On the turn, the CO bets 40, you have to act, with UTG + 1 still to act. You arent wanting to play a huge hand with the board paired against two opponents, but now youre DRAWING to a straight or low flush???

The only time I'm calling a bet (potentially getting whip-sawed) is if I'm drawing to nuts or near nuts.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:10 PM

i called, CO showed 54o for the boat, and i cry.

too bad a 3s or a 8s didn't show to teach him a lesson for his small betting ways.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:44 PM

Its funny that you are upset by his "small betting ways" yet he suckered you into thinking you were ever drawing to a winning hand.
IMO if you're going to play NLHE at any level, you can't be a calling station because you'll never, hold on let me repeat that - NEVER, be able to decipher a hand. In limit, you can get away with it more because there's never more than 1 more bet to call and pot odds will many times dictate to call a reraise to showdown. But you need to throw that idea out the window to be a winning NLHE player.

Now to the hand. The preflop call is fine, the flop call is bad (with a bet and a reraise), but if you'r going to play the hand, i think you should raise $90 - $100. This does 2 things: 1) you can take the hand down. A pair of K's will definitely fold this (unless it's AK). 2) You'll find out first and foremost where you stand if there is a call. That 5-4 is either all in or else he smooth-calls, which should slow you down unless you hit the turn.
On the turn, the board pairs, now you shoudl freeze. But again there's a small bet, enticing you to stick around drawing dead, but you don't think twice about it because your 7 high flush or a straight might come on the river.

Be careful for what you wish for.

IMO - the best play woudl have been to fold the flop, but it's not horrible to reraise the flop IF you must play the hand. Much better than calling to the river where you were burned for $300 on top of the flop/turn bets. My way, you save $300 by folding after you reraise the flop and watch the CO go all-in or if he does smooth-call, he's betting the turn.

Get away from the hand, but more importantly, put in a raise to show some strength and define their holdings.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:57 PM

i don't think my flop play was too bad, given that he minraised, he lets me see that he has strength for cheap and if i make my straight i can probably extract a lot because it's a lot more disguised when i make it. the pot is offering me at least 3-1 at this point and i have a 4.5-1 shot at making it, i can definitely make it up and more through implied odds if i make the straight.

my lines on the turn and river were a bit more suspect, i think calling the turn was ok, and check calling the river would've been a better line.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:17 PM

Again from a limit point of view that's fine - worry about pot odds to catch. You're playing NLHE though, and NL is more about reading hands and putting pressure on players than it is knowing pot odds to call down with.
Its absolutely necessary to know those odds, but u can't simply say to yourself, "i'm getting close to my odds here so i can call" regardless of situation. As this hand proves, you sure made up the odds needed to hit your flush, and the whole time you were drawing dead and cost yourself a lot of $ thinking you were solid by just calling down.

Just my opinion. Of all 3 possibilities (raising, calling,folding), I personally feel that callind both flop and turn is the worst.