Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: How to have Poker Tracker not bog your computer

That’s an interesting article, astroglide. I almost stopped reading when I got to “IMO, you should run Disk Defragmenter every few months” but I did read the whole thing, since you seem to know your stuff.

Defragging every few months may be ok for people who don’t do much – send emails, browse the web, maybe play an occasional non-demanding game, but that advice simply makes no sense for people who are using a large, constantly changing database. It is stated as the author’s opinion, not a fact, and it is an opinion with which I strongly disagree.

Yes, the defragger built into XP is kinda ok. It is Diskeeper Lite, actually. Diskeeper (the full version) is a very good defragger – shame Microsoft didn’t license the whole thing instead of just the lite version.

PageDefrag is fine too, for a tweaker like yourself, but I am really aiming at the guys here who don’t defrag at all. I’m trying to give them a quick, easy way to get their disks in shape without them having to learn a whole lot of technical stuff.

I know that you know what you’re talking about, and most of the other guys know it too ... but I’d bet a lot of them don’t really know what you’re talking about, if you get my drift. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, I know a bit about what I’m talking about too. I’ve used most every defragger that’s come along since the days of PCTools and the original Norton Speed Disk (pre-Symantec). This one is the best I’ve seen, even better than the full version of Diskeeper, which I used for a long time. It does make a difference ... and it is very easy to use, no technical knowledge whatsoever is required to gain the full benefit.

A couple years, yeah, I’d have said a top-end defragger wasn’t worth considering for an average user. Now that so many of us are running this big database (and are therefore no longer “average” users), I think it is worth considering. For me, it was worth buying ... but I’m a tweaker.