Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 11:41 AM

Default my biggest problem playing SH

maybe if I post it here I'll stop doing it. my biggest issue is not pausing before taking an action. I missed/lost several bets last night when I didn't stop to think long enough before taking an action.

it's a simple thing for me to fix and there is no reason I do it other than habit.

--turnipmonster
Old 04-07-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: my biggest problem playing SH

My grandfather taught me how to play chess by strongly enforcing the rule that if you touch a piece, you move a piece. It took me 4 years to beat him, often becuase I would get close to mate and touch a piece before seeing the appropriate move. It took me three games after I learned a way to discipline myself. My revolation?
Sit on your hands.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:01 PM

you stole that from somewhere. I don't know where yet, but when i remember....
Old 04-07-2005, 03:26 PM

I stole the technique, not the story. It came originally from a story I read when I was ten, about a baseball loving kid and a chess loving dad... they found their middle ground by helping each other out. It seemed genius to me at the time(and I feel the simple subtlety of it has a genius attribute even today) so I tried it and I beat the old man within the first week of using it.
Essentially, the point is that by taking different approaches in training yourself you can minimize your bad habits... even if you feel silly in the beginning by doing so!
Later,
Ez
Old 04-07-2005, 08:22 PM

i have read the book/story, i just cant remember what it was.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:17 PM

It's curious that you have this problem coming from a PL background, where every decision must be considered carefully. Take 3-5 seconds before each action, no matter how mundane. If you have a difficult decision, don't be too shy to use the time bank.

Make this problem the focus of your next session and you will shortly conquer it.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:37 PM

I had this same problem while 4 tabling. Often I had way more than enough time to make a decision but I rushed anyhow. The fact that some guys play 8 tables and more is proof positive that you have time to think when you are only playing 4.

Now that I am 2 tabling, and moreover 2 tabling with a purpose - to get better - I find myself thinking about decsions all the time.

That sitting on your hands thing is common chess advice and anyone who has played tournament chess has heard it before. When I first started playing poker online and was way too loose and aware of it, I would sometimes click fold in advance, and then lock my hands behind my head away from the mouse to stop from playing some stupid cards.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:06 PM

It must be 25 or thirty years old... compliments the author that anyone else even remembers it, even if we can't remember the name... lol
Old 04-08-2005, 04:17 PM

yeah I don't understand it either, I don't do this at PL/NL ever. perhaps it's because I always have to pause anyways to move the slider thing around.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:11 PM

This used to happen to me quite a bit, though less now that I've been improving my game. The key to avoiding this sort of thing is to anticipate your play given various situations. And stick to it unless there's a really good reason not to.

For example, I had recently valuebet on the river with a 2 high flush, and got paid off by a particular opponent. A few rounds later I had AK on a board of A754 against the same opponent, and was resolved to bet the river no matter what came, but to lay down to a raise. The river was an 8, I bet and was raised, and I instacalled before I could even stop myself. Of course against this particular opponent, I lost to the straight. Way to give away a big bet. I felt like that was the only major mistake I made all session, and one that is easily correctable given some discipline.

Chiz