Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Over coming self idiocy...(a rant that is not worth reading)

Recently while playing a Sit N' Go I came to a realization. I am an idiot. The hand went like this...Preflop on the button I am delt AQs. Three people limp in front of me, 4th raises minimum and I re-raise 3BB. The guy that raised is the only one that stays in the pot with me. Flop comes 3Q7 all rainbow. Check to me I bet Pot. He calls. Next card is a rag. He puts me all in and I call... Suprise Suprise, he has pocket Aces. Now what gets me is that I thought to myself. This guy has an overpair, but for some unknown reason I called anyway. Why do I repeatedly do things that are this stupid? Because I think to myself, this should be my pot. I have a good hand it should be mine. He should have folded when I bet the pot. Blah blah blah. Why do I insist on being so stupid and how do you make yourself stop doing such stupid things? I am making a pledge here that I am not going to do anything stupid ever again. It's like castling when you know that it gives your opponent a check mate on the next move. You just don't do it. And I am not going to do stupid things anymore...At least stupid things that I realize are stupid.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Over coming self idiocy...(a rant that is not worth reading)

I've seen a lot worse. I'm not even sure you are an idiot.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:24 PM

seriously, don't be so hard on yourself.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:35 PM

In the hand you described, I don't really think you played it that horribly, at least not if it was a lower buyin. Ya he probably had a set or an over pair but depending on the buyin and the level you didnt necessarily play it wrong. The only thing you can do is listen to your instincts. However, there are times where you're sure you're beat but you're still correct in calling. its amazing how many times this guy turns over KQ or a pair of jacks at lower buyin sngs.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:39 PM

I bet you forget all those times when you think the other guy has you beat and it turns out he doesn't.

Selective memory is a nasty thing. Sometimes after a bad run I think "I almost always get my money in with the best of it but still lose" and when I go back to PT to check, it turns out that isn't the case at all. Losing with a much better hand is much more rememberable than losing coinflips and with the worst hand.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:54 PM

If you watch poker on TV, you've seen this kind of hand many times. And what do the commentators say, and I'm sure you yourself say? Uh oh, the guy playing top pair, top kicker, is going to lose it all.

So if that is what the pros say about the pros, then the only conclusion to draw is this: that's poker. Sometimes, you're just gonna lose your stack. Especially at a SNG where you don't know anyone and, thus, have no idea whether your opponent is skilled or an idiot.

News flash: you can't win every hand.

BTW, the kind of thinking that you just described is not unique. Happens to me all the time. But it is also true that, like someone else says, I don't recall the times that I make that call, notwithstanding the little voice that says fold, and win the hand because my opponent played it wrong.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am making a pledge here that I am not going to do anything stupid ever again.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the most stupid thing in your post. Everyone makes mistakes and does stupid things, even the best players in the world make reads and don't follow through on them, or they play longer then they should, overplay their BR etc, etc.

Just try to be at peace with your mistakes and learn from them rather then always being angry at yourself.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I am not going to do stupid things anymore

[/ QUOTE ]

Liar