Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 12:43 AM

Default QQ vs overs -- sanity check

The two villians are brand new, so no reads. I know this isn't that interesting, but similiar hands come up all the time.

I'm never sure whether to take the free card on the turn and make a crying river call or bet the turn and take a free showdown (if possible).

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.20 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets (planning to fold to a raise)</font>, UTG calls.

River: (6.20 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6.20 BB

Call if villian suddenly bets this blank river?
Old 04-07-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Re: QQ vs overs -- sanity check

I like your line given the texture of the board...if there was no flush draw I likely check through the turn and check/fold the river unimproved short of a specific read on the villain being a LP donk.

Surf
Old 04-07-2005, 04:46 AM

I think your line is fine. You will get calls from weak Aces, who will also not raise you (unless aggro) esp. after your PF raise. UTGs limp could be 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], JT or QJ (there are others but without more of a read on their dumbness, we can effectively ignore them). A hand like JT will call the flop hoping to spike an ISD, and will not let go when they pair up. You will see KT and Ax a lot of the time too but you have position and can take the free SD. Checking the Turn and calling the River is an option, but you lose value on all the hands you are ahead of and save none on the ones you are behind to when they bet the River. Against a player who will bet the River if you check behind the Turn with hands you beat, and CR the Turn with any A and some hands you beat (including straight bluffs or semi-bluffs), then check Turn and call River has more going for it but I prefer your line here as a default play.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:56 AM

I agree with that. I will only bet here because there is a good chance he is on a draw. On a rainbow board I think checking the turn hoping to snap off a bluff is the best play because he will not call the turn with a worse hand and will figure there is a good chance he will get you to fold on the river after you showed weakness on the turn.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:10 AM

This looks like the best line. The two [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]s on the flop would be the only reason for me to bet this turn. If UTG suddenly bets on the river I think I would have to reluctantly fold seeing as how he probably wouldn't bet with a worse hand.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:12 AM

Betting the turn might make a weak K fold.

If you check the turn you lose this benefit as well as giving draws free turn cards to beat you.

If there was another player and you didnt have an extra 4 outs to a gutshot then it would be better to give it up.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:55 PM

Thanks, all. Villian shows Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and MHIG.

...and I prepare to make some thin value bets against him in the future [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]