Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Call flop bet with flush draw and 2nd button?

Sorry, the details are a bit hazy, I'm writing this from work.

$11 turbo sng at UB last night, 5 handed, blinds are 100/200. I'm in the BB with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Everybody calls other than the SB. Pot is 900.

Flop comes down A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I check, UTG checks, UTG+1 bets 400 (he had around 2200 chips at the start of the hand, and I had around 2500), button folds. After thinking for a while, I decide that this guy has an ace and is afraid of the flush draw, so decide to call and fold if I dont improve on the turn. UTG folds. Pot is 1700.

Turn card is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check to the better, who bets about 95% of his remaining stack (about 1400 chips, I think he meant to go all in). I push, and he calls and shows A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for two pair. River card is the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], (I have been working on my river quad technique).

I was pretty happy with my play, a bit loose calling the flop bet, but it was a turbo and I counted 9 outs for the flush draw, and another 5 outs to 2 pair/trips. The other players at the table didnt see it that way, and tore me to strips for the making an "insulting" call as one guy put it. Either way, I went on to win....

Your thoughts?
Old 04-07-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Call flop bet with flush draw and 2nd button?

standard

he butchered the hand, not you.

top and bottom pair w/ a 2 flushed board in a limped pot? he shoudl have been betting the pot or possibly overbetting the pot on the flop- then your call would have been debateable.

you played it fined.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:50 PM

I probably would have played it the same. You've got a number of outs and, if you hit one, he probably has no chance to redraw against you.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:56 PM

I push the flop.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:02 PM

Sports Fan,

I'd say that was just about perfect. It wasn't that loose a call. You're probably okay for the flush and have 2nd pair. I might have bet the 2nd pair to gain information but that bettor took care of that for you. My only fear would have been KQ [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or KJ [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] as those are the kind of hands someone would logically have. On the other hand, he basically played A blank...a poor play in a tournament...got burned and then whined about it. His play got him what he deserved...wiped out.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I felt pretty good about how I played the hand- other than the table comments.