Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Looking to step down and contemplating 5/10 short games

First a little background on me:

I started playing hold'em about 2 years ago. Like many, I began playing live and then after much hesitation, gave online a try and played in the Party $.5/$1 games.

After about 6 months, through winnings from those games, some small tournaments, and bonuses, I built my bankroll up to about $2,500 and settled into the Party $3/$6 game.

I played the 3/6 for about a year and then last spring, with a bankroll of $7,000, I took an ill-advised stab at the Party 15/30 that so many on this forum said was very profitable. I managed to play even for the first month or so while I got used to the game.

Then I don't know if I was lucky or good (maybe a little of both), but after about 10,000 hands, I "broke out" and ran very well (at least for me) for the next 6 months.

During that time I kept my bankroll at what I felt was a reasonable level (400-500 BBs) and I used the excess to help my wife and I furnish our new home and pay off some debt. Then over the last 2 months and 25,000 hands I have hit a 250 BB slide, and my bankroll is down to $5,500.

Much like my bankroll, my confidence has also taken a severe beating during this run and I have decided to step down for at least a little while to build them both back up while I work on my game.

So now my questions for you guys:

-Do most of you found the Party 5/10 full or short games more profitable?
-If I look into the shorthanded/HU forum archives, whose posts should I focus in on, El Diablo, Nate's, others?
-Who are some of the current posters in this forum that offer really good advice, JR, others?
-Are there are specific posts that you guys would suggest are must reads in this forum?
-Any general comments anyone would like to offer about the Party 5/10 games?

Thanks in advance,

Luke
Old 04-07-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Looking to step down and contemplating 5/10 short games

-Most of us have never played 5/10 full, but that game has a bad rep in general and the 5/10 short is an ATM.

-Ulysses/ElD, Nate, Peter_Rus, and stripsqueez made the most informative posts IMO. I know that Naphand is fond of SODA, and Schneids and Gonores both have their gems.

-Stick to the archives

-Not really

-If this is your first shot at short-handed, you might want to try 3/6 first, Paradise and PokerStars tend to be the favorites.

Scott
Old 04-07-2005, 04:34 PM

Scott,

Thanks for the advice. I'm certainly going to look through the archives but why do you stay stick with them? Is there anything that you would say is wrong with the current state of this forum?

Luke
Old 04-07-2005, 04:58 PM

Guido has a nice page up that you can check, He has a few links to his threads when he was a beginner to SH.

The Homepage
Old 04-07-2005, 04:58 PM

Almost all of rory's posts are informative and helpful . . . except where he advocates playing super-tight in the blinds. Admittedly, this qualification makes one exclude about 95% of his posts, but . . .

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there anything that you would say is wrong with the current state of this forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

Many things and many people, and for once I'm not in the mood to insult anybody so I'll just leave it at that.

Scott
Old 04-07-2005, 05:31 PM

Luke:

[ QUOTE ]
Do most of you found the Party 5/10 full or short games more profitable?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just started playing the 5/10 6 max after a stay at the 5/10 full. The full game is definitely beatable, but I would imagine that it is pretty tough for typical low limit 2+2 multitabler to "crush" it. You have to play a little poker at times.

That being said, I think there are just so many truly awful players at the 6-max game that I cannot imagine how it is not more profitable than the full game. My numbers after 13K hands are not indicative of that sentiment [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img], but I believe it is true.

Also, if you have never played shorthanded, I think it is worth it to give it a go. Prior to this shorthanded excursion, I was exclusively a full ring game player.....and I believe the little experience I have had so far is improving my game significantly.

Finally, I am pretty darn conservative with my bankroll, as it is pretty much not replaceable. 500BB is on the low side of what I would like have to play the 5/10 6-max.

--Rico
Old 04-07-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then over the last 2 months and 25,000 hands I have hit a 250 BB slide

[/ QUOTE ]

So -1 BB/100 over 25k hands, for a total drop of 250 BB?

This isn't that bad. Not to say that you are a winning 15/30 player, I have no idea. But if this is your worst downswing in a 2 year poker playing career, I think you've had it relatively easy.

But sure, give the 5/10 shorts a shot. It's a fun and profitable game and the HUSH forum is a great place to learn about it.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:11 PM

I have experience in both the 5/10 full and short games. The full games play much tighter than the 15/30 you're used to, but they are also easier to beat. Much less aggro and a lot more straight forward play. However, because the ring games are full of rocks with 12 VPIP's, the short games are much more profitable. They also mimick the 15/30 a bit more than the full games, as far as the aggression level goes. Lots of fish in the 6max games.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:29 PM

I've been playing both the $5-10 Full and 6MAX LHE.If you multi-table more than 4 tables ..it is often hard to find "good games" at $5-10 Full.I look for tables with 8bb pot averages or better.Usually there are only maybe a few to a half dozen of these games often there are no games that qualify.At the same time the $3-6 and $15-30 LHE Full will have a dozen or so games that qualify depending on time of day.

I can almost always find good $5-10 6MAX games- I look for games with a minimum 6.50 bb pot average.