Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Questionable Flop Call w/AQs

[ QUOTE ]
(Though something might be wrong with the converter because MP3 seems to disappear after the turn.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about that, MP3 disconnected on the turn.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:08 PM

I agree that the turn raise isn't going to clean up any overcard outs but isn't this raise at least break even with just 2 callers? I think hero is good here a little more than 33% of the time and UTG+1 is almost always going to cold call given his flop action. All you need is either SB to call or MP3 to reappear from the dead and call.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:10 PM

i like it. my question is: is reraising the flop a bad idea? i thought at first we should because you can thin the field, but then i thought no because you could be behind a boat, and even if he only has 3 of a kind, he isn't folding. so you have to hit a flush or straight to MAYBE win. so you want others to stay in. is this right?

edit: removal of MP3 disappearing joke as someone has pointed it out while posting [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2005, 01:11 PM

I think I would just call this turn. Folding overcards at this point isn't going to help us too much, and with strong draws you want as many people in with you as possible and making the field face 2 BB cold doesn't really help out that cause.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:11 PM

I agree that a turn raise is pushing it, someone could draw into or possibly have a boat (doubtful given no one has bet twice yet) while your personal nuts is the Ace-flush. I would rather call and see what the river brings.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:12 PM

I think the flop call is good considering the size of the plot. However I dont think raising the turn is right. I don't see how you'd fold any hands already ahead and you arent currently leading.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that the turn raise isn't going to clean up any overcard outs but isn't this raise at least break even with just 2 callers? I think hero is good here a little more than 33% of the time and UTG+1 is almost always going to cold call given his flop action. All you need is either SB to call or MP3 to reappear from the dead and call.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on how often an Ace is good and how often an 8 is drawing to a split. You need 3 for it to be +EV -- 2 is almost breakeven, but not quite.

Rob
Old 04-07-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the flop call is good considering the size of the plot. However I dont think raising the turn is right. I don't see how you'd fold any hands already ahead and you arent currently leading.

[/ QUOTE ]
A turn raise would be for value, but only if we get enough cold callers. We have two very strong draws here and its definitely a good time to get our money in the pot. See Entity's post above.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:25 PM

On the flop simply count your outs...
You have four gutsgots, 1.5 flushes, 2 overcards. With the board paired I think we can discount all these chances to say 5 outs minimum. The first flop call you're getting 14:1 pot odds...easy call (unless you decide to try to raise which I would have no problemo with). The second time around you're getting 20:1 this is an even easier call! Folding either time would be a travesty.

The turn raise bothers me. You currently have an equity edge over most but what good is that if they fold here and you don't hit? With all the action on the flop you have to think a 10 is out there. Others will fear this too and will often fold leaving you heads up (or 3-way) and needing a card to win. Your raise has no value and therefore is -EV because you will very rarely get a better hand to fold. It also killed your action on the river... Call here.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:36 PM

I like the flop call. I might just call the turn to encourage overcalls.