Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 10:04 PM

Default Re: Spring Break 5/10 Personal Challenge

It's a silly challenge if you ask me.

As someone has pointed out, you do not know how you're doing until you get at least 50k hands in. Anything less has luck deciding quite a fair bit of your BB/100 and could be very misleading (for example my 3.8BB/100 over 20k hands at 5/10)

So [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2005, 10:10 PM

I agree that it's silly to decide the # of tables one should play based on one's current BB/100, but the challenge looks pretty solid - 2,000 hands/day? That's a challenge! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Surf
Old 04-06-2005, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's a silly challenge if you ask me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey go to hell. The challenge isn't even about win rates at all. It's about pushing myself to see what my limits are in terms of hours per day.

Krishan
Old 04-06-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a common misconception on this board that 2.5/100 or 3.00/100 are easy to attain or the "norm" for a very good player.Very few but the best players are going to make 2.5+ bb/100 over a 100K+ hand sample.You should be happy with 1.50-2.25 bb/100.There is so much bullchit on these boards.The variance in any Short LHE games are mind-buggling.I play 50K a month..samples of less than 50K even 100K should not get the attention they do..How often do we see some newbie come on here and post PT stats where's he's made 2.50+ bb/100-then you look deeper into the guys numbers and he's winning something like 42%+ When Seeing the Flop-he's been running way good that's why and it can happen over very large sample sizes..to deceive all of us.

This is why you have a bunch of mediocre guys on this board who have moved up and now they are complaining about breaking even over long stretchs or they are in the midst of another 300bb losing streaks.Facts are they may be marginal at these higher limits and they should stay at the lower limit until they have a higher confidence that their winrate is maintainable and refine their game.That is only if they are having problems beating the new higher limit IF they are adapting and continuing to crush the higher limit--no reason to go back down or question your stats from the lower limit.But I dont understand on this board why a bunch of regular posters continue to play at limits where the variance of the game buffets them and their winrate are marginal at best.The objective of Poker for me is to make as much money as possible in a somwhat consistent fashion not play as high as possible with maximum variance..and just get by.

This post is directed towards those players that struggle after moving up not the established earners.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all this, this isn't my first attempt at 5/10. And I've been back to my lower limits a couple of times. The difference is this time I feel good enough about my game to be confident I can stay at this limit. (And I've run well)

Krishan
Old 04-07-2005, 09:43 AM

Hey, if you can log 2k hands a day, more power to you. But remember, as more respected posters here have stated, the real +EV is studying the game away from the table. I'm repeating this for my own sake as well. Gotta drill it in.

Good luck.