Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 11:40 PM

Default $25 NL 44 in SB hand

Mainly wondering about the pf call. I did it based on the implied odds, but I'm not sure if that was good. Also the CR on the flop and subsequent bet. Am I giving away strength and risking calls from lesser hands? Etc...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

Hero ($47.75)
BB ($28.6)
UTG ($24.15)
UTG+1 ($25.6)
UTG+2 ($25)
MP1 ($101.93)
MP2 ($24.4)
MP3 ($13.63)
CO ($10.75)
Button ($27.63)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.25, Hero (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $1.75</font>, MP3 folds, Button folds, Hero calls $1.75.

Flop: ($4.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, BB calls $6.

Turn: ($24.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players) -- *hand converter loses this, but I bet $17 to put him all-in and he calls.</font>

River: ($24.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $24.50
Old 04-06-2005, 11:52 PM

Default Re: $25 NL 44 in SB hand

[ QUOTE ]
Mainly wondering about the pf call. I did it based on the implied odds, but I'm not sure if that was good. Also the CR on the flop and subsequent bet. Am I giving away strength and risking calls from lesser hands? Etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

preflop call was close (since he only has $28), but probably okay. when you call for implied odds, you have to be able to put your opponent on a hand that you're going to be able to make about 10X the preflop called amount if you hit.

i would have led into him on the flop. i bet a lot of flops exactly so that i can get action on hands like this. my usual play is to lead and hope to get raised...

the check-raise gives away some information...namely that you have a good hand, which means set or T9 for two pair. your check-raise was too small...you didn't charge enough money for the information that you gave away. he only had to call $6 to win $18.50 (which a lot of players think is fine on a flush or OESD). a pot sized raise would have been to $16...but villain's stack is too short.

yeah, i don't like the check-raise. villain doesn't have enough of a stack that you can make a proper raise, but it's slightly too large for a check-push....leading out would have been better, i think.

anyway, he had JJ and turned a bigger set?

EDIT: also, you asked about "risking calls from lesser hands?"...did you mean you want to get called by better hands? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2005, 11:58 PM

Looks good to me. You've got to look at implied odds with a pair but only if you think you can get 7.5 times the raise out of the pot.

River sucked but I think you're line and your pf call was okay, obviously if you miss the flop though you have to get out. If he sucks out, he sucks out.

Generally on a board with no flush or straigt out there, I'll get stacked by someone who has a higher set than mine though, so take my reply for what it's worth.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:03 AM

Lookin good, I'll expect to see an overplayed overpair here most of the time.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:37 AM

I was running good at this table and showing monsters. Figured I could use that to my advantage in addition to implied odds.

I agree about leading for a 1/2 pot bet, but checking to the pf raiser is common so I figured he'd expect it.

He flipped over AKd for nada, fwiw.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:56 AM

the only time i would check-raise a flop like this is if preflop raiser is next to act, and there are a bunch of players after him. this usually makes the pot bigger when it gets back to me. hopefully i can get a little extra money in the pot this way, and tie the overpair to the pot because of its size. preflop call is fine if he is unable to lay down postflop.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He flipped over AKd for nada, fwiw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta love the bluff-call. Very +EV.

Nice hand, and as far as leading at the flop or check-raising, I think either is fine. I tend to lead, but have gotten folds a lot lately and wish I had check-raised or check-called. So yeah, either is fine, as long as you build the pot somehow.

Nice hand.

-Trail