Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Re: TOP 5 MOST UNDERRATED WPT PLAYERS

[ QUOTE ]
One of the replies on my top 5 most overrated players asked who were the most underrated. This is tougher as there are many overrated but the underrated are not known as much but i'll try.

1)David Sklansky

2)Dewey Tomko

3)Chau Giang

4)Brian Haveson(i don't know alot of his play but he seems to get there in alot of big events and nobody knows him)

5)Toto Leonidas

[/ QUOTE ]

Near as I can remember, Only Tomko and Haveson have earned their way onto a WPT final table, and Haveson played badly IMHO in the hands I saw played on TV in the WPT, WSOP, and the AC tourney Myung won.

While interesting ideas to have, Your methodology is pretty flawed.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:00 PM

My thinking wasn't players most underated that made final tables in WPT events. It was guys that play WPT events that are underrated players. All of these guys don't have the fame and prestige that my overrated players list have. But, with the exception of Haveson, are probably all better than the overrated players. Not that they have to be better though, as all it means is nobody gives them credit for being as good as they are. But i would guess are better than most, if not all, the overrated players. Haveson makes the list not because he plays great but because he is so underrated. If he only played pretty good he would correctly be underrated because nobody thinks he's good. Hope you see how my methodology might not be flawed afterall.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:08 PM

This is even worse than your other list.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:43 PM

Casey Kastle has been ever present on final tables(just not making te TV tables) and cashing consistently on teh WPT
Old 04-06-2005, 08:45 PM

Yeah he's a possible.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:58 PM

I agree about Chau but I think Toto is way overrated. I saw him make a couple of ridiculous calls in the USPC. I don't think that Dewey is underrated, people give him quite a bit of credit. I've only seen Sklansky on the WPT once and it was a freeroll...
Old 04-06-2005, 09:13 PM

Ted Forrest has gotten a bit more respect lately... every time i see him play, he mkes at least one absolutely uncanny read... the pair of deuces vs chad what-his-name in the WSOP 7 card game from last year was just flat out scary. add in the three bracelets in one year (and two more last year)...

if, given my limited knowlage, i were to rank who I thought was the best, Forrest makes top five, no doubt. even with that silly mullet.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:25 PM

Stud is his(ted's) best game i believe. Also Phil Ivey's best game i think.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:33 PM

Smoothcall,

While it may be sacrilege to say so on this forum, I would hardly say David is close to being underrated.

First, he one of the most recognizable name in the game. Include the sales of his books and reviewers of his articles, virtually no knowledgeable poker player does not know the name Sklansky.

Second, not just name recognition, but his years of live cash games from middle to somewhat high(circa $300-$600) limit play. No saavy person would question he very likely has been a continuous winning player.

Third, by his own statement, he is in the top 5 best players in the world. We recognize, he means in all games.

Fourth, despite the above and his clear mastery of poker theory, his actual achievements at the table both tournaments and cash games, has been just very good to perhaps exceptional.

In sum, to be as recognizable and in fairness revered by so many in the poker community, how could he possibly be underrated?

Bob
Old 04-06-2005, 09:34 PM

Yes Toto is a hard one to figure out. He does make some crazy plays to knock himself out. But is very dangerous player who has had very good results. The reason i put him on the list isnt because he is great. But because if you put him up against Phil Hellmuth, T.J Cloutier, or Doyle Brunson. Everybody knows those guys and consider them "great" while he may be better than all three. If he was considered great like these guys i wouldn't say he was underrated as he would be around there somewhere.