Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Face Up Hold\'Em

It would be impossible to play online since everyone would use some sort of software to calculate their equity and then whenever you have the best of it move allin if the structure is nolimit or bet the maximum if its PL or FL and everyone else would fold since calling or raising would not show any profit so unless the game is played live with people who does not now for example which is the better hand between Q9o and JTs it would always be over before the flop and the rake would ultimately make everyone broke.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your winnings would likely be far more determined by the cards you catch than your skill. No-limit would surely be a waste of time

[/ QUOTE ]

Now this part I disagree with. Your winning in normal HE is often more determined by luck than skill in a session, but who cares because we focus long term, where luck mean [censored] all. Down the road you're gonna make money making the right decisions; and I think that it could be a lot: the magnitude of the opponent mistakes would be quite large, and they would likely tend to be agressive mistakes - betting and betting to try and take the pot when you are correct to call.

I'm not sure who would play this game (I think limit would be most appealing tho), because the people at my B&M like to bluff, check-raise, and call river bets
(if they played AA would NOT be a blind steal) but if it was opened I would enjoy it. I think it'd be a pretty solid teaching tool for face down HE as well.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought about this last night while sleeping.

[/ QUOTE ]
awesome
Old 04-06-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your winnings would likely be far more determined by the cards you catch than your skill. No-limit would surely be a waste of time

[/ QUOTE ]

Now this part I disagree with. Your winning in normal HE is often more determined by luck than skill in a session, but who cares because we focus long term, where luck mean [censored] all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely you agree that the long run is MUCH longer if the cards are face up? That means you'd need a much larger bankroll, and of course that assumes no rakes. It would probably be impossible to beat any rake similar to normal HE.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:35 PM

Our home game group plays a variation of this game while waiting for everyone to show up and start the game. You deal out the cards face up, and if you want to play, you put in a dollar. If not, you fold, and then the flop, turn and river are dealt with no betting, best hand wins. Kind of a fun way to pass the time.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:55 PM

i thought of another variation.

YOU CAN ONLY SEE THE CARDS OF THE PEOPLE THAT ACT AFTER YOU.

this would fully negate the strength of position. what do you do when an early position player bets into you and you know that he can see your queens? is he bluffing?
Old 04-06-2005, 03:19 PM

i just thought of a problem with my previous post. obviously this would only work online, unless live play was set up with some sort of system where other players' cards were relayed to a little screen in front of you.

but online this would be subject to so much collusion that it wouldn't work.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What if there was a variation of Texas Hold'Em where it was played face-up. Would you play it?

Obviously it would come down to math. If you were able to calculate the odds more accurately than other players and bet the right amount so opponents would be making mistakes to call your bets then you could have a great advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds grand. I think you should call it 'Blackjack'
Old 04-06-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Our home game group plays a variation of this game while waiting for everyone to show up and start the game. You deal out the cards face up, and if you want to play, you put in a dollar. If not, you fold, and then the flop, turn and river are dealt with no betting, best hand wins. Kind of a fun way to pass the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, no blinds, no antes?
Old 04-06-2005, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What if there was a variation of Texas Hold'Em where it was played face-up. Would you play it?

Obviously it would come down to math. If you were able to calculate the odds more accurately than other players and bet the right amount so opponents would be making mistakes to call your bets then you could have a great advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds grand. I think you should call it 'Blackjack'

[/ QUOTE ]

a game named 'Blackjack' already exists whereby players play against the dealer to see who can get closest to 21. unfortunately you will have to think of another name that is not already taken.