Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Hidden MONSTER!

I was playing at 2-5 B&M game.

UTG2 $400
CO $600
Button &1600
Hero $1600

I was in the big blind with 4d 6d. UTG2 limped, CO raised to $25, Button called, I called, and UTG2 called. I played hands like this hoping to score big if it hits. Flop comes 3, 5, T , suits are irrelevant. I checked, UTG2 checked, CO bets $80, button calls $80, I call $80, UTG 2 folds. $340 in the pot. Turn comes a 7, making my straight. I check CO bets $100, Button makes it $250, I go all-in.

I knew at this point the button had made a set. He thought for a long time and the laid down 33. I think he would have called if he had a set of T, and maybe with a set of 5. Did I make the right move? Should I had just call, raise a smaller amount or go all-in on the turn? How would you have played it to maximize this hand and why?

I thought it would look suspicous if I had just called.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Hidden MONSTER!

His raise on the turn didn't leave you much latitude. I think your other option is to call the turn raise, then half-pot or pot the river (whatever you think he'll call).
Old 04-06-2005, 09:25 PM

I would probably raise it to something like...800. You cant give him odds to hit his boat, but there is no way a stack that deep is going all in without the nuts. so basically, i dont see him stacking off with a set, probably is a decent player. With 300 bb, i think stack are too deep to get the whole thing, but going all in is an overbet, so that is why i would say raise the pot, or overbet a little.

edit: One other option is to just call, and see if the board pairs on the river. its a risk reward situation, but i would probably prefer this play if you had position on them. maybe if he was the bb, and you were the button that play would be better, you dont want to check after the board doesnt pair, and let it get checked around.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:32 PM

You need to put in a nice reraise because there are plenty of scare cards on the river that will either put you behind, or kill your action. I think all-in is excessive. Something like 700 feels better... Maybe even a bit more.

-Jason