Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Thinking like a good player can sometimes get you in trouble..

nice answer.

As the money gets deeper, hole cards like 56 become more and more profitable.

Had a very nice session the other night when I cracked aces and kings with small cards. Satisfying to me because I've struggled for quite some time--and am still struggling--with how to play connectors profitably. Search for Fimbul's posts and you'll get a sense of what to do.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:48 PM

I guess i didnt view it like that, I really felt it was a bad move from UTG. Well ill have to not understimate opponents like that, he did go on to lose half his stack before leaving the table though...
Old 04-06-2005, 05:54 PM

I think you're giving this guy way too much credit. Minraising anything is pretty fishy if you ask me. Minraising offsuit connectors from UTG is just plain stupid. Now had he limp-reraised his 56o from UTG that would have been tricky, or even opened with a real raise. Looks to me like another bad player getting lucky.

As for the actual hand in question, fold to the flop bet. The thing about Axs is if all you catch is an Ace, you missed the flop. If he actually has what he is representing you are drawing extremely thin. JMO
Old 04-06-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"he trapped you"

The 9 trapped him. I don't think op calls all in if river is blank.

Villian was out of position and pushes on the river. This doesn't look like a trap to me. It looks a little more like crazyness.

Traps usually do not look like traps. It was a trap that looked like a bluff, hense the 'tricky' play or trap. Maybe 'trap' is technically not the correct wording. By 'trap' I mean tricked him into calling the all in. I get your point about the '9 trapping him' as he might not have called the all in with just a pr of aces and a weak kicker. So the vilian put a play on him to confuse him.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:09 PM

"Traps usually do not look like traps. It was a trap that looked like a bluff, hense the 'tricky' play or trap. Maybe 'trap' is technically not the correct wording. By 'trap' I mean tricked him into calling the all in. I get your point about the '9 trapping him' as he might not have called the all in with just a pr of aces and a weak kicker. So the vilian put a play on him to confuse him. "

I would aggree. If villian is thinking I would say that he "presented a bluff". I think it would be extreme to check-call this turn in order to set up this bluff presentation. Therefore I tend to suspect that opp is an idiot but I could be wrong.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:22 PM

"I think you're giving this guy way too much credit." More then likely. I'm just saying from one hand, I'm not ruling out that he might be tricky.

There are very good LAGS who raise (even minraise) from all different positions from all different hands. If they know how to play postflop, they do very well. Especially because you can never put them on a hand.

I believe there was a high limit post referenced earlier today where a guy raised with 7-10s. I would never do it. But they didn't blink an eye on that forum.

"Minraising offsuit connectors from UTG is just plain stupid." Some call it "Shania". Some call it unpredictable. Some call it stupid. It could be the villain knew the table was passive and could steal 4 out of 5 hands by minraising preflop and then betting the flop?

I have no problem saying he was probably an idiot. But I can argue good reasons for it as well. (Maybe he wants to be seen as a maniac to get people to call him down? Maybe he's trying to loosen the board up? Maybe he knows the board is weak tight and he can steal constantly? Maybe he's an awesome postflop player?)
Old 04-06-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The 9 trapped him.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he trapped himself by getting involved after that flop and assuming he knew what his opponents held.