Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Overcards hit on river - rocky villain wakes up

ooo, my first SS hand post.

MP1 is an old man rock, plays very straightforward.
Button a fairly good player. She's a little loose preflop, but pretty solid post flop and a little tricky.

Comments welcome (needed!) on all three streets.

B&M €3/€6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
1 fold, UTG+1 calls, 1 fold, MP1 calls, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, 2 folds, Button calls, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (9.5 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 players)
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
MP1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="red">Button bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (9.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
<font color="red">MP1 bets</font>, Hero....

Playing big overcards properly is one of the biggest leaks in my game, I think. When they miss, I almost always bet the flop (if I raised preflop, and flop gets checked to me) and then get confused on the turn if I don't improve, but still have 2 or 3 callers with me.

Here is a perfect hand to post for me, because I bet the flop like I always do, then got confused on the turn, and then hit on the river only to have rocky old dude wake up.

WWJD?
Old 04-06-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Overcards hit on river - rocky villain wakes up

You must have wanted the Ace because otherwise you wouldn't have called. The fact that it appears to hit MP1 (he might have KQ?) is very annoying. If Button has slow-played AJ/JT you are in 3rd place [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] but I think you might be good 1 in 10 against weaker Aces, or stuff like 99 or KK or A7, so I call and hope it doesn't get raised behind.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:58 AM

Yeah, I definitely wanted the ace on the flop and turn. Even when it first hit, I was like, "great". But then Old Man Rock woke up and I had no idea what I wanted!
Old 04-06-2005, 10:58 AM

easy call, you hit the card you wanted and the old man could have a weaker A.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:05 AM

Are you debating a raise on the river? It depends on how much of a rock he is really, which is read dependant. The safer play is to call looking for the overcall. You could also raise and fold to a 3-bet. But I think the first option is the better one.

- Jim
Old 04-06-2005, 11:06 AM

So far it sounds like the river is a call.

Thoughts on the flop and turn???
Old 04-06-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you debating a raise on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, on the river I wasn't sure whether to bet or raise. He wasn't a COMPLETE rock, just fairly old-man-like. He plays decent cards preflop, and will call lots postflop because he won't bet/raise without at least top pair.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:52 AM

Default RESULTS

Well, I raised the river. The Button called and MP1 called.

MP1 showed KQo for the big straight, and Button showed 89o for the small straight. My hand is nooooo good.

I raised the river because I didn't consider the runner runner big straight. Instead, I thought he bet out his ace thinking he had a nice 2 pair. I figure I had him outkicked, so I raised. If my read were correct, I probably should have gone for the overcall, hey?

Thanks to MP1 for giving me boat credit though, because it saved me a bet (yes, I probably would have called a raise in the heat of the moment).

Are there any opinions on the turn?
Old 04-06-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

Pretty straight-forward call imo. I might have bet it sometimes. But not a definite bet, especially live.

- Jim
Old 04-06-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

Yeah, I'm down with calling the turn. I was wondering if I should have fired another barrel there, or just check/called with my 4 new outs.

The "especially live" comment is interesting. I have to admit, I also really chickened out on the turn fearing the J. Online, on the other hand, that fear wouldn't be nearly the same.