Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Thinking like a good player can sometimes get you in trouble..

OK so last night I lost a few pots to fish because I was thinking of how and why they held what they held, everytime I was blown away with what they held and beaten with My AK vs A6o or 77 vs J9 etc. here is the hand that cost me the most..

Pokerstars $100 NL Blinds 0.5/1

Villian UTG $75
UTG+1 $120
MP $50
MP2 $80
MP3 $175
Cutoff $90
Hero Button $220
SB $140
BB $30
-----------------
Hero is on Button with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villian min raises to $2, mp folds, mp1 calls, mp2 calls, mp3 folds, cutoff folds, hero calls, sb folds and BB completes.
FLOP (5 players)
A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB checks, Villian bets $4, mp1 folds, mp2 calls, hero calls, bb folds.
TURN (3 players )
2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villian checks, mp2 checks, hero bets $10 - Villian (takes time) calls, mp2 folds
RIVER (2 players)
9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villian pushes all in (WTF?!) hero calls.

Villian shows 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for a full house sixes full over nines.
hero shows A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for 2 pair Aces and Nines.

Total pot $146.50

I know my call on river was awful but I sat and thought what could he have? would he bet out the flop UTG with A6 or 66? Those were the only hands I could put him on t oraise UTG with. he checks turn and doesnt check raise me again making me think more he has AQ or AJ. his push looks like such a bluff and my 2 pair looked good i thuoght. Comments on playing vs fishy players?
Old 04-06-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Thinking like a good player can sometimes get you in trouble..

Did you make this up or something? Cause villian don't have a boat, tho he does have the winning hand.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My AK vs A6o

[/ QUOTE ]

fold the flop bet
Old 04-06-2005, 02:28 PM

I apologize, Villian only has trips. I was typing quick at work and thinking too much at once. I typed hand history myself not copied from a request. I guess my own mistake was betting $10 on turn since my 1st instict was he was on AQ or AJ so my bet was bad, but i just sensed weakness..
Old 04-06-2005, 02:38 PM

He trapped you.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:01 PM

Based on this hand, I wouldn't call him a fish.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:07 PM

"he trapped you"

The 9 trapped him. I don't think op calls all in if river is blank.

Villian was out of position and pushes on the river. This doesn't look like a trap to me. It looks a little more like crazyness.

on flop I raise to see where I'm at. If called I lose confidence in my A. If 3bet I fold.

given flop action:
turn pick up flush draw and checked to-maybe A is good and you have outs and aggression is good, they say. you 1/2 pot it and get called-now I've lost confidence in the A but you execute a skillfull move by drawing out his larger A but then...

he pushes,
whew, good thing you have position or you would've bet into him and couldn't get away but wait! he couldn't be that bad or crazy.

Really I can't disaggree with your river call.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:50 PM

I have to agree... that based on this hand alone, one can't call the guy a fish. He made a tricky play... he minraised with suited connectors, hit, and got all in with the best hand.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have to agree... that based on this hand alone, one can't call the guy a fish. He made a tricky play... he minraised with suited connectors, hit, and got all in with the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
h.
Villian's hand was not suited. He's playing, rather raising, 5-6 UTG. Sounds fishy to me.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:14 PM

"Villian's hand was not suited." true. I remembered the 2 reds incorrectly.

"He's playing, rather raising, 5-6 UTG. Sounds fishy to me." It's not ABC poker, but its not necessarily fishy. You'll see good players make tricky plays all the time. If you read the high stack NL forum, you'll see people raising with odd hands and calling with odd hands all the time from various position. There's nothing wrong with making plays like this if you know how to do it. Players like Neganeau and Gus Hanson play these hands constantly. I'm not in any way alluding that the villain is in their league... but I wouldn't assume someone is a fish because we wouldn't play the hands they do.

The benefits of his play is... no one can put him on a hand. If he hits, no one is going to put him on his hand.

I personally don't play this well, but others do and do it well. Especially if they're mixing up their game.