Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Aces play a big pot? Prima 25-50NL

[ QUOTE ]
Good point about the stack size. Curious- Do you feel opponent would call with mid-low set?

[/ QUOTE ]

i am not folding it. AxK [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or AQ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], or KK[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is just as likely for our hero to have here than top set.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop bet is pot sized, offering 2:1 odds on a hand that villain is 34% to win by river, (assuming he doesn't have more outs than the flush) Implied odds are that he'll take the whole stack from hero if he hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero's image so far is that he's raised 4 hands PF in the last 15 and took them all down on the flop. There are no implied odds here because for all the villain knows, Hero's making this continuation bet with T9o. Of course, that also means something like KQ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] may call that bet with what seems to be the best hand, but overall I think you can discount the flush here by quite a bit.

I think you push anyway, though.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:45 PM

alot of players are saying KQs, but if a guy who has been raise happy bets $1k into that pot and I have KQ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]'s, i am pushing pretty much everytime. i would think most players in that very agg. game would as well. the stack sizes make it a very +EV given a normal pfr range of hands.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the replies so far.

I think it's pretty clear that given the size of the stacks and the pot, there's only two moves here: check or push.

If I push, obviously a flush is calling, as is a set.

I thought a check here might induce a lesser hand to make a move on this pot, reading me for a big pair that hated that ace falling. I couldn't see any way I was folding here with the pot so big and the stacks so shallow in relation.

True, checking here gives a good player w/ a big club in his hand the chance to check behind and see a cheap river, but I really didn't think villain was checking behind here. I think a lot of you might cry BS or whatever at this, but I just had one of those funny feelings that villain was just itching to put all his chips in, but might fold if I did it first.

So I checked, and villain insta-pushed, and suddenly "be careful what you wish for . . ." creeped into my head.

What hand do you put villain on here?

(Results to come later)

Thanks again.

-neon
Old 04-06-2005, 10:50 AM

I think he has a set of 8's or a big pair with a club.

I really hope he didn't have 4c4x and rivered a club to beat you.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:08 AM

You have no choice but push to protect your hand. You could put him on anything but it might include a club also.
It looks like he's has a hand that's calling anyhow.
Hope it worked out.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:31 PM

Great thinking hand!

Ok my 20 cents:

KK-JJ would have raised preflop, there are 2 limpers and a caller to your raise, a big pair wouldn't play too wel in such a pot would it?

Considering 22, 44 or 88: Why wouldn't this hand raise the flop? Flop seems threathening enough to do this.

Sooo, TT would suit a weak player, but you say he is pretty much avg+. My money is on 67c, seriously! But then again nobody else said this, and I am quite the one to say something nobody else says ;-)

Oh please post results!

Johan
Old 04-06-2005, 01:33 PM

I like you’re checking in this spot. I think it’s very likely that anybody calling 1k on the flop, is likely to bet the turn after you check (almost regardless of what you have). When your opponent pushes on the turn you’ve made your own play very simple as you have a clear call. I think a key point here is that if an opponent is likely to semi-bluff the turn with a club draw, it’s good to let them do so as they are not getting the right price. If they don’t have a flush draw, they have very few outs so a free card is not a bad thing as it might get you some action on the river.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:08 PM

Default RESULTS

So I checked the turn, villain pushed, and I thought for a few seconds and then called.

The river was a red deuce, pairing the board, and my aces full owned his 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks for the replies.

-neon
Old 04-06-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

he should have known better [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

congrats on the big hand.

I know that you are prob. calling anyways, but villian really should have pushed that flop with only 3k left after a call. it gives hero a chance to fold a weaker overpair, and is a slight favorite if you do call.

plus it sucks if the turn bricks and you bet.

gl on the tables neon,

fsuplayer

btw, nice try in trapping obnxnole with those aces [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] too bad you hit a third one on the flop, it could have all been yours. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] (i was sweating him at the time).