Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 08:30 AM

Default Re: Bet 2 Suited Straight Draw?

What about:

You bet, an aggressive player raises his flush draw, you ?

Now your in for 2 bets when it could have been 1. I would rather check/call in this position.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to check and call, just bet IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear people say this, but I don't think it's always true. It is probably a good guideline for semibluffing. However, betting into 8 opponents is not a semibluff because there's practically no chance that all will fold.

It's a value bet only if my chances of winning are better than my fair share for the number of callers. For example, if I bet and get 4 callers, it was a value bet if I win more than 20% of the time.

I did a simulation with this hand on the flop. I included the two hands I saw on the showdown (66 and K7o) and gave UTG a 32s diamond draw. Against those three opponents, I was the *least* favored. If you add in two random hands then I barely win more than my fair share.

I now think my bet was slightly -EV. However, I think it helped disguise my hand so when I did hit on the river I got tons of action. Therefore, I think I like the bet.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:22 PM

How do your opponents know you aren't on a flush draw? For all they know you're betting AdKd. I've seen small flush draws fold in this exact situation. The straight went on to win and the folder would have made his flush on the river.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:14 PM

you want to get money in for sure..either (1) bet out, OR...(2). with this flop and 8 limpers my preference would be to check..assuming that one of thes 8 will lead out..
if lead out is early..you can either raise it up, or call hoping to check raise on 4th if str8 hits.
if lead out is late..call.you prob still have same number of callers..then lead out if your str8 hits on 4th..you might get raised.
but in both cases i'm checking to get more money into the pot or set up a raise (ie its an aggressive move)
Brian