Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 02:51 AM

Default Re: Turn Semi-Bluff: Good or Bad?

His turn bet makes him look weak and if I was in his seat with only a jack then I would surely fold to the check raise (unless you're a LAG, but I would probably fold anyway since UTG+1 is still in). Given that BB is good enough to lay down a jack a slight problem remains. UTG+1 has been calling on the flop and on the turn. Is he on a flush draw? Will he lay that draw down? I've seen some funky calls from people with flush draws. The big question is of course if he has a 6. He might actually have a 6. Slowplaying is just so very popular.

Ok, what I want to say is that I think UTG+1 should be a major concern here. That doesn't mean that the semi-bluff is a bad play. I think this is a good spot for one. Your play looks strong to me. Just don't be suprised if utg+1 reraises you.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:28 AM

Pretty much my exact thinking.

I think I like Red Face's suggestion, that a raise to 7 or 8 would accomplish the same thing, while letting me lose 2 less bucks if I get re-raised.

The REAL problem is what do I do if UTG+1 smooth calls. What if a diamond misses, do I make a small bluff and hope he had diamonds? If a diamond falls, what do I do?

Ooops, I just hijacked my own thread.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:28 AM

if utg+1 smooth calls I wouldn't bet again. He called on a scary board I can't know if he was on a flush draw or if he has a hand. He doesn't have to be slowplaying something big. He could have a jack for instance and then he'll probably call again.

If I make my flush I will bet it. If I'm check raised or raised (forgot the position) then I have a hard decision and I don't really know what I would do in that case.