Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 02:27 AM

Default 1/2nl at the Taj

1/2 live no limit at the Taj

I bought in for $180 and I'm pretty much even after a few orbits, I start this hand with $169. CO has me covered. I pick up A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in late position, a few limpers, I limp along with CO.

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

checks around to me, I check to CO who bets $20

folds to me and I flat call

Turn J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet out $50

CO thinks for a while, asks me how much I have behind ($97) and calls

River 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

CO comments, "you're probably gonna push the rest in?"

What is your move?

Results to follow.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:33 AM

Default Re: 1/2nl at the Taj

fold the flop. you have TPNK w/ a backdoor flush draw. if more people had called ahead of you i would have possibly thought about calling. but he has overbet the pot and you are out of position
Old 04-06-2005, 02:42 AM

I would've bet the flop. Given that you checked I would have then raised his 20 to try to find out where I'm at.

Turn: how did you interpret his comment?

River: did you get any kind of sense from his comment? did he sound frustrated or nervous or depressed or apathetic or fatalistic? Otherwise I'd probably bet another $50 to prevent a bluff and maybe fold out a some stonger A's. I would then fold to a raise even for just another $47.

I guess he's asking about your stack because he's on a draw and want to know what his implied odds might be but I don't play live. I think this is very read dependant.

I didn't consider that he overbet this flop in the extreme. I'm really not sure I could change my line on this because of that - it's tough to make sense of a bet that doesn't make sense.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is your move?

[/ QUOTE ]

bet the flop

given you didnt

fold the flop
Old 04-06-2005, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would've bet the flop. Given that you checked I would have then raised his 20 to try to find out where I'm at.

Turn: how did you interpret his comment?

River: did you get any kind of sense from his comment? did he sound frustrated or nervous or depressed or apathetic or fatalistic? Otherwise I'd probably bet another $50 to prevent a bluff and maybe fold out a some stonger A's. I would then fold to a raise even for just another $47.

I guess he's asking about your stack because he's on a draw and want to know what his implied odds might be but I don't play live. I think this is very read dependant.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the turn he asked me how much I had left after I bet $50...giving me the impression that he was going to put me all in at that point...which had me a bit worried, but I think your analysis is correct in that it was just so he could figure out odds (because he only called and didn't raise) as well as intimidation

On the river I felt his comment as weakness, if he really wanted me to push all in I don't believe he would ask me if I was going to do so. His tone seemed that of frustration.

Final results to follow.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:11 AM

Bet the flop instead of calling. Given his smooth call on the turn though, he probably has the [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], so I would check to him on the river and hope for him to bluff. This really depends on your read of his comment though, which seems like it could be made to psyche you out, or goad you in.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:49 PM

Default results

First of all I don't like betting the flop here because of the early limpers and blinds, I could easily be check-raised or trapped by a blind with two pair or an ep player with a set... by checking to CO I was able to sniff out his overbet as a bluff or semi bluff. When the second [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] came out I figured it as the perfect time to semi bluff and honestly I didn't think I was going to get called...but after CO's comments I could feel his weakness. On the river rag I figured I could lead out for a small bet and take it down but I decided to check and let CO either check back or bluff at it...I checked and CO looked down at his chips as if he didnt know what to do...finally he checked it back, he asked me what I had, I said top pair, he asked my kicker, I told him and he mucked stating he missed his straight.

In retrospect I like the way I played this hand, I gave myself a good way to win on the turn and anyone who leads out on this flop most likely does not get called for $50 on the turn by a weaker hand.