Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 08:06 PM

Default 5/10 live NL, flopped set facing C/R on turn

I've been lurking on these boards for the last several months and feel like I've learned a lot from reading. I also know I have a lot of learning still to do. I'd like some opinions on this hand.

5/10 live no-limit. Hero is BB with about 1,400. Primary Villain is SB and has about 750. Villain appears to be playing pretty straightforwardly - a little loose and passive, but not tremendously so.

Pre-flop - 4 limpers to Villain, Villain completes, I check with 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Flop ($60): 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain checks, Hero bets $50. I considered but rejected the idea of a C/R because (1) there was a flush draw on the board, (2) there was a possibility the flop had missed everybody except possible flush draws, and (3) I had recently shown down a hand where I bet the flop out of the blinds with TPNK on a similar board. All fold to Villain, who calls.

Turn ($160): 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, Hero bets $100, Villain C/R and makes it $400 to go.

What's your move? What range of hands do you put Villain on? Anybody play the earlier streets differently?

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2005, 09:47 PM

Default Re: 5/10 live NL, flopped set facing C/R on turn

i think i would have played them fast. i wouldn't want to let anyone catch up.a small pot is better than no pot. but i'm still only beginnig this rollercoaster ride of emotions called no limit hold'em.i try to be the aggresser at any point i can. by the way what came on 5th and what did he/she have that won.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:39 AM

At first glance I would have said push, as villain has a wide hand range in this spot.

You need to know if he bets his draws like this and what does he think you would do with TPGK here.

If you think he thinks you lay down to scare-card bets with TPGK then push. If you think he's thinking you overplay TP then muck 'em. Based on your read so far I'd suspect I'm going to see 45 more often than the pair+flushdraw type hands if I move in, therefore this could be one of the times where I'll bide my time and lay the set down.

FWIW I'd bet the same on the flop but not the turn. It's asking for a good player to take it away from you but betting more pot commits you.
Therefore I might price the draw in and underbet it ($60) and he will reveal a little bit more about his hand by either calling or raising it.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:40 AM

you have a pretty easy fold here.

you dont have immediate pot odds to draw to a house (if that will even be good), and he doesnt have much left to pay you off with a straight when the board pairs.

he has 45 the vast majority of the time here, top or mid set the rest of the time. 107 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]s is the only hand you are beating that he could possibly play this way.

sucks to fold a set, but this is the time for it.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:16 AM

yeah i think you see 45 alottt of the time here. i fold with not too much regret
Old 04-06-2005, 01:50 PM

Default RESULTS

I called because the size of his raise and his demeanor gave me the idea that he wanted me to fold. While I was worried about 4-5, from what I had seen of him, I didn't think he would have played 6-6 or 10-10 that slowly (what if I check behind on the turn?).

River was Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. My opponent checked(?), and I checked behind. He showed 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and took the pot.

In hindsight, I agree with fsuplayer and freemoney that a fold was in order on the turn. Given the range of hands I was facing, I was behind a lot more than I was ahead. My read wasn't good enough to confidently put him on the hand that he had.

Thanks all!