Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 03:51 PM

Default MTT Profitability

I wanted to figure out if I was making better money in MTTs or SNGs. I have calculated my SNG earnings to be about 140% of buyin expected return per hour. However, my MTT data is just so spikey I can't really deduce any earning rates, I just know I came out ahead some money. I also didn't keep track of how long I lasted each time (oops).

I was curious if anyone else has already done the comparison and would like to comment on their results [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: MTT Profitability

my understanding is that you would need ~1 jillion MTT's to figure out ROI accurately. would be curious to hear others' opinions though.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:03 PM

a jillion might be a little high. a bazillion sounds about right.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:08 PM

I don't know that you can get a big enough sample size at the same limit with the same size field to determine ROI. Forget about hourly conciderations the vast majority of your ROI will be from your 1 or 2 top 3 finishes / x number of tourneys. You'll have great runs where you final table 6 out of 10 tourneys and you'll have streaks of 20+ where you don't even money. I believe the target expectation often talked about is 3x buy-in? Try and aim for better than that and forget about any hourly considerations.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:17 PM

140% of Buyin Expected Return per hour for SNG? Usually we use ROI (Return On Investment) for SnG and I think it is the same for Multi-Table.

For a 20+2 SnG this would be $30.8/hr. This would be approximately a ROI of ~28% 4-tabling doing about 5 SnG/hr. which is possible on Party, but you would be doing really good.

How many SnG have you played?

I think statistically you would need to play 50x the average number of players to be 50% sure that you are within +/- 5% of your ROI for each Multi-table Tournament you play. That means you would have to play 15,000 tournaments with an average field of 300 players to get a close reading.

This is just extrapolated from statistics that we use in SnGs.

-Gryph
Old 04-05-2005, 04:41 PM

Do you play more than one SNG at a time. If so how are you accounting for it.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:59 PM

If i play multiple SNGS at one time i do multiple entries in the spreadsheet. So each game has a start time and a finish time and a +/- $ amount.

I've sampled how many tables i play at once when doing SNGS and it used to be an average of 2.0 but now its more like 1.3 (got kind of burnt out of grinding SNGs).

Gryph - appreciate the post, really liked what you had to say. I've played a few hundred SNGs and I figured that was good enough for 10 man (and 20% 6man) SNGs.

I figured I needed a super large sample size for the MTT stats... didn't realize it was out there like 15,000 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

About the 140% per hour... sorry I might have worded that in a misleading way. It says nothing about how often I win or lose. That stat mainly addresses how fast I go through SNGs. So at an hourly wage perspective... it is better to lose getting 10th place and spending 2minutes than getting 4th and spending 1 hour. These are by no means pro SNGs... only $10+1 but I like doing the analysis.

The main 2nd guessing I've been doing on my playing ability is when I hit final tables lately I've been cashing 4-7th rather than those sweet top 3 spots.

EDIT: I reviewed my profits and forgot to account for the +1 rake so I really am getting 27% profit... $14 back for each $10+1 I do. It did seem kinda high [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]