Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 01:31 PM

Default set of 2s

first, I'm a novice so feel free to correct any mistakes or things that seem out of place.

$10/$20 6-handed No-Limit tournament homegame - $50 buy-in with rebuys.

Fairly tight shorthanded game which just began with avg. players in it and everyone is still deepstacked. No real maniacs at the table but villain plays somewhat erratically and will show you down with almost anything sometimes and other times simply fold to a strong bluff after putting a lot of money in the pot - a bit tough to read sometimes.

Hero is BB with Q2. All fold to villain who is on button and who flat calls. Hero checks to see flop which comes 223. I open for $30 thinking I'll be able to suck him in for a raise given the flop assuming he's got something like 8-8 or better. He calls - leading me to believe he's got either straight possibility or low overpair.

4th Street: 4

Uh-oh - the one card I didn't wanna see just hit the board so now I'm worried. Still, even if he's got straight I count 10 outs to a boat and figure I might push to see where I'm at so I bet $50 which he calls. River is a blank which is where I go wrong (i think) by going all-in (why did I do that?) whereas a check might have not cost me all my chips and told me where I was at. After some deliberation he calls and shows 56 offsuit for the straight.....

Upon further reflection I hate the push at the end - any suggestions?
Old 04-05-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: set of 2s

We also need relative stack sizes.

Personally, I think a push was a horrible idea because you know he wouldn't call a push with A3 or A4 for the two pair. I don't know what the stack sizes are so I don't know how big your bets are.

I would have made a blocking bet at the river if the pot was decent, and if he still was showing strength I'd really have to reconsider.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: set of 2s

yeah, you're right I was an idiot but for some reason I thought I'd push and double up - stacks were about even with c. $500-600 each - if he's got nothing he folds since not a ton of equity in the pot yet from his perspective and he'll only call with the goods.......plus I was playing junk so he probalby had me read on a set I'd guess