Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Re: can someone explain folding equity?

[ QUOTE ]
Folding equity = chance of opponent folding x size of pot

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-05-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Example: pot is 1000 and you think your opponent will fold 40% of the time if you bet. Your folding equity is 400. If your bet is less than 400 then you show an automatic profit no matter what happens if called.
Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

This is that theoretical Sklansky Dollars profit, right?
Old 04-05-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's pretty funny. I was gonna suggest you reread your post and explain to me the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just woke up, but seems my brain didn't.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen that. I like it.

Unfortunately, I don't think this equation applies as succinctly to short-stacked SNGs. In particularly, villain could reverse FE against you, then how does your equation work?

For example:
6 handed, blinds 100/200. Folded to you in SB. Your stack is 1600 (after posting). BB stack is 1400 (after posting). You look down and see that you were dealt two cards. You raise to 400. BB reraises you allin.

The only reason I bring this up, is that there are many instances in which I think the chance that BB folds to an allin raise is one thing, but will not fold to a miniraise is another.

Ah, I'm grabbing at strings. I very much like that equation, although I'm generally using FE incorrectly then.

Scuba
Old 04-05-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen that. I like it.

Unfortunately, I don't think this equation applies as succinctly to short-stacked SNGs. In particularly, villain could reverse FE against you, then how does your equation work?

For example:
6 handed, blinds 100/200. Folded to you in SB. Your stack is 1600 (after posting). BB stack is 1400 (after posting). You look down and see that you were dealt two cards. You raise to 400. BB reraises you allin.

The only reason I bring this up, is that there are many instances in which I think the chance that BB folds to an allin raise is one thing, but will not fold to a miniraise is another.

Ah, I'm grabbing at strings. I very much like that equation, although I'm generally using FE incorrectly then.

Scuba

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you would prefer it written like this?

Folding equity given a particular bet size = Chance of opponent folding given a particular bet size x pot size

Pokerscott
Old 04-05-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Fold equity is equal to the amount of EV you gain by your opponent folding. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

-- PM (adapted from Kurn, et al.)

Yugoslav
Old 04-05-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say it's battle of the blinds. Both players have 5000. SB holds AK, BB has 99. In the first scenario blinds are at 10/20. They both have 250BB, so there's NO WAY the BB is calling the all-in here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously never seen the original draft of Abraham Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs . . . or played much Party poker on a Friday night. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2005, 02:26 PM

To me it's just a measure of the power you have to make people fold. This includes image, stack size, type of opponent and the situation.

Larger stacks generally have more FE.
You will have more FE vs a tight player than a loose one.
If you are seen as a good TAG, you gain FE.
You can use the situation to your advantage to gain FE. This most often occurs on the bubble, ie when someone is close to busting out and the table tightens up.

Just wanted to make sure I have the right idea...
Old 04-05-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok...i know this is a newb question... but could someone just answer this?...

from reading all the posts... i gather that folding equity is basically just how likely you are to get someone to fold... i.e. if you've got 320 chips and blinds are at 1/200, you've got none... but if you've got 2000, then you've got a lot... is this pretty much how it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

It also depends on:
- The size of your opponent's stack. If you have 2000 on the button, and the BB has 50 left after posting, you (should) have zero folding equity. On the other hand, if he has 10k (say it's a three table SnG), you don't have as much as if he had 4k.

-The stage of the tournament. Against typical players, the closer you get to the money, the higher your folding equity is. Most players will try to fold their way into the money, which is why stealing on the bubble is so profitable.

Sam