Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 01:38 AM

Default Screenscrapes

Hey all,

I tried searching this and didn't come up with anything...

Reading a post in the mid/high forum, I came across an explanation of a 'screen scrape.' As I understand it, if you have Party open, they can capture images of what you have open on your desktop. So, my questions are:

Is this true?

Do other sites do it as well?

Can it be used to access information that I don't want others to see (i.e. if I am doing online banking in Internet Explorer while playing, can Party see my bank account)?

I'm going to feel like a moron if this is an inside joke like pattern mapping or something, but I'm relatively ignorant about computers, so I don't know if this practice is plausible or not... Any clarification that someone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

ML4L
Old 04-05-2005, 01:41 AM

Default Re: Screenscrapes

No it can happen. They do it to prevent use of pokerbots(for one thing).

As to whether they can look at your banking info...I suppose in theory they could...although I wouldn't be too worried about it.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:02 AM

PP Terms and Conditions of Use:
[ QUOTE ]

6. Artificial Intelligence.
We are committed to detecting and preventing software programs which are designed to enable artificial intelligence (non-human) to play on our site. Such programs are often designed to send information about cards, dice or players to an external program. Information sent to an outside program is not permitted. The company will take measures to prevent and detect the use of such programs using methods including but not limited to screen scraping or reading the list of currently running programs on a player’s computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call me paranoic, but I do not look at any confidential info while I'm running PP.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:07 AM

Yes they do it and it's a pretty big violation of privacy rights IMO. Unfortunately they aren't smart enough to detect bots via other means.

But anywhere you bank online should have account numbers that only show the last 4-5 digits and passwords are ***** when you type them so you don't need to be too paranoid.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
online banking in Internet Explorer

[/ QUOTE ]

not much to add, but get Firefox, or Opera/Maxthon if you prefer. Just use a browser thats not IE. If you really do like IE, get Maxthon, from what I have heard, more secure + more features but keeps what some people like from IE.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:45 AM

The question is can they track stuff when PP is closed, through another app. that downloaded to your compu. when you installed PP. I see no reasonn they couldn't since who knows what you install when you install PP.

Just a thought if you want to think really paranoid.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:47 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

maxthon uses ie for its rendering engine

i don't think party is worried about pilfering our bank accounts. many people keep more in partypoker than they do in their checking account.