Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2005, 05:24 AM

Default Re: Pitfalls of Winning- OR- Why I might just never play again.

Looks like you hit that typical level of competence at something where you know you are better than the majority of people and so you need higher goals or you get bored and frustrated. Poker, sports, doesn't matter. You strive to get better than average, to beat the majority, and then when you can, you plateau.

Turning poker into a part-time thing will make this MUCH easier. If you put something on the backburner but are still better at it than most people, that should be enough and you should enjoy the outcome at that level of play.

Poker is only fun full-time for certain types of people. I played blackjack for years and it's pretty much made me immune to having fun while gambling. But there are other things in life to pursue besides gambling. After a certain point, money doesn't matter. I hope your new job gives you more fulfillment.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:52 PM

Default Honesty is The First Step

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, I don't want this to sound like a boastful I win, but I'm not happy thread or something like that.

Anyway, I was a winning player for the 2 years that I played seriously starting at 1/2 limit then 1/2 NL, then back to limit playing 3/6-20/40 at various stages. Then a couple of months ago expenses started to increase quickly I dropped from 10/20 to 5/10, then expenses increased more, a 185 BB downswing hit, and I quit.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really doesn't as complex as you're trying to make it in the angst-affected post.

You went broke. You lost your Roll. Bad play. Bad money management, who knows. Thats the issue.

This joy of winning vs. agony of defeat may be 5 percent of the issue. 95 percent is that you went broke.

Deal with that, and you're on your way to getting better.