Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2003, 03:45 PM

Default Re: What kind of beat pisses you off the most?

E) The one where the guy who administered it racks up his chips immediately after and leaves the table.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:05 PM

You need to get over the feeling lame part. Remember the line form White Men can’t Jump, where Woody Harrelson’s character claims that black guys would rather look good and lose than look bad and win? Too many Poker players are like that. In Order to look Macho they waste bets. Don’t make it personal, or take it personal. First of all if you are a good player you will be sucked out on more than you suck out on someone because usually you will have the better cards. Second, when you do it don’t apologize. Let him think you are clueless. Then use it to your advantage. If he thinks you are bad he is much more likely to give you a free card in the same situation next time. He might also chase your legitimate hands later in an attempt to get even. Bad beats and suckouts are a legitimate part of the game that we can’t control. Those that handle them better will have better results in the long run.

ANd you did have implied odds to chase the gutshot on th eflop. In multiway hands you usually do. On the turn is a different story though.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:17 PM

good post....

I caught my money card on the turn, I don't routinely take an inside straight draw alone past the turn, the double bet usually does me in.....unless the pot is HUGE.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:27 PM

As someone else mentioned you get used to those kind of bad beats after a while. But when I play omaha H/L I am about ready to pull my hair out within half an hour. That game is just to frustrating for me.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:36 PM

The kind that upset me the most are when someone else besides myself ends up taking down the pot.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:47 PM

My least favorite beat is when I have a great read on a player's hand, but can't get myself to lay it down, e.g., my TPTK to his set. I override the voice in my head with the math and pot odds matter. On the drive home I can never quite convince myself that I played right. In those instances I feel like I'm close to poker greatness, but just can't get over the hump of mediocrity.

The scariest win for me then is when another player puts me on a hand, is wrong, but plays with such aggression or finesse, that even though I've won I'm worried about tangling with him again. Kind of like running into a player that just has some systematic errors in his game who is noticeably better each time you run into him at the table.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:52 PM

I remembered this hand and I'm sure Dynasty does, too. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2003, 05:33 PM

Default Does it really matter???

I try not to be pissed because I know that it happens. To indulge in "what beat bothers me more" is waste of mental energy, imo
Old 02-11-2003, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Does it really matter???

Actually, I think it is interesting to reflect on the things that bother me, to what extent they bother me, and most importantly why they bother me to the extent they do. There are certain things that bother me more than other things, yet they are caused by less horrendous mistakes on the part of my opponent(s). By determining why a specific beat bothers me more than another, I can learn more about the way I think.

-- Homer
Old 02-11-2003, 07:52 PM

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Poker isn't always about playing the odds.

The most important thing about that hand is that Mikey folded on the river. It didn't matter that I hit my 2-outer. I could have raised the river regardless of what card (except maybe a Q or T) came and Mikey still would have folded.

I thought you had KQ so I didn't recognize the hand until I saw the river 5.