Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Why suckouts put me on tilt

Ok, I feel I should explain a few things.

A) Said thread was not meant to be entirely serious. It was merely a view into why suckouts can be so frustrating. Not because they happen, but because the explaination is that they happen relatively infrequently, which then causes the suckee to ask, "Then why to me?"

B) After further reflection, these situations do not put me on tilt nearly as much as I had thought. Following this post, I lost two or three hands that I was a huge favorite in (KK against 44 for instance). They didn't bother me so much. What really puts me on tilt connects to my biggest leak: Not knowing when to fold. My WtSD% is higher than it should be. My W$SD is decent (around 55%), but I'm still calling with too many second-best hands. Or even worse, being too aggressive. THOSE are the hands that bother me, because I know it's nobody's fault but my own. Yeah, AQ for top two pair is great, but had I just THOUGHT for a moment, I'd have known I was beat. And the times when I do, I don't always have to hit call on the river. The ones where I know I screwed it up are the ones that get me. So there's a interesting psyche aspect: Saying that one thing puts me on tilt to avoid acknowledging my own shortcomings as a player. But I'm working on it.

C) Bloody hell. Do some of you just sit around waiting to tear people down? I haven't faced so much hostility since my friend asked what I did over Spring Break and I said, "Your sister."
Old 03-28-2005, 11:09 PM

Why suckouts put me on tilt

because you dont understand poker [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

most of us dont [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2005, 04:41 AM

There's no such thing as bad beats.
It's all in your mind.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:15 AM

Do you have a question?

It sounds to me like:

a. You are a bad player

b. you are playing stakes that are above your head

c. you have abnormally bad luck

Which is it? I'll give you 2-1 that it isn't C
Old 04-03-2005, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
C) Bloody hell. Do some of you just sit around waiting to tear people down? I haven't faced so much hostility since my friend asked what I did over Spring Break and I said, "Your sister."

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this feeling. Woe is the poster who seeks to unload some of the stress from this game by putting their thoughts out there for considered analysis. All you are likely to get is vitriol from posting addicts who 1) want to tell you that you suck, and 2) pretend like when they lose to that 2 outer for huge $$ that they sit there like a rock, say "nice hand" and think nothing more of it. Yes, bad beats and suckouts are part of the game, but there is a reason they're called "suckouts". Natch, because they suck.

I think it is generally easier to get over a bad beat than deal with the many and varied trolls in these forums.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:36 AM

JKD,

you want players like this chasing. after all, the other nine times, that draw won't come in, and in the meantime, you're making tons of money.

cheers!
Old 04-04-2005, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have a question?

It sounds to me like:

a. You are a bad player

b. you are playing stakes that are above your head

c. you have abnormally bad luck

Which is it? I'll give you 2-1 that it isn't C

[/ QUOTE ]

a. Everyone can use improvement. What seperates the good from the bad is acknowledging that.

b. Yeah, that must be it. .50/1 and 1/2 are way over my head. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

c. "Luck" is irrelevant

So every new thread has to be a question? Of course if it had been a question, I imagine you'd have posted just to tell me to use the search function. I tell you what: Next time I make a post about my own psychological issues with the game with the idea that maybe I'm providing a little bit of insight, why don't you just head on over to the OOT forum and join in on the latest completely inconsequential and unproductive thread. At least there, your reply will fit in with the general theme of things.

Have a nice day, and good luck with that Enzyte.