Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Beginner\'s List of Poker Books to Read

First off, I treated the subject of finding books about poker in a different way (didn't even know about 2+2, and certainly about their tremendous Book Forum). So I went to Google in search of used books. I found dozens of sources, all with literally millions of used and new books.

A search for the keyword "poker" might show 10,000 books in stock. Having been drawn to poker by watching TV tournaments, I was interested in NL HE tournaments. So I homed in on books relating to keywords Hold'em, tournaments, internet, no limit etc, doing searches one by one for this list. If I found a title that seemed interesting, I'd cut and paste the ISBN number, and then search for this, alone. Sometimes the list of books from a search would yield 2 or more books with the same title, but with different ISBNs. I was interested in the number of books of the same title and author, regardless of ISBN number, and the range of prices of these books. I liked books like "Scarne on Poker," because it had a huge range of prices; if I wanted I had a chance to buy it for $1. Let's face it, even an old classic book has loads of common sense mixed into it, even though it might not even mention NL HE!

I created a personal file that contained what I'd learned about each title, and this file now has 67 books in it. As quickly as a book becomes downright uninteresting to me, and to my purposes, I'd scratch the book from my file. This file was searchable, using "My Computer" on my computers front page. This last feature was immensely useful to me! I'd look thru the numerous descriptions of the book, and take the most useful description and add it to the file. Thus searches became ever more useful, as info was added concerning individual books!

Of course, if the book was fairly modern, I might easily enough find the book in stock at Borders. I went there, and found 44 of the 67 books I had in my file! I went there twice (2 Borders locations, actually), and the first time I found a number of books suitable to add to my file. I put lots of info about each book I reviewed into penciled notes, and added this to the file I'd mentioned above.

I graded each book I viewed with a letter grade: D thru A+++. I was interested in how well the book seemed to fit my needs, how cheaply I figured I could get this book (a very modern book wouldn't be very cheap as a used book, supply and demand, you know), coverage of what I needed to learn in my beginner's state, and importantly lucidity of the writer's style.

A more detailed description of some books was available at Amazon. Let's face it, the decision of which books to buy is an important one. It's really not as much the money saved avoiding purchase of useless books, it's the time wasted figuring that out. That's what the Book Forum is all about, saving time for all of us!

I found a book dealer who seemed to be on the low side of my discovered price range for quite a few of the books I'd graded at A++. He had books in each of the primary areas of concern I had. By an accident of history, 7 of the 9 books he had, that comprised a real nice A thru Z library of poker, were published by 2+2. Gee, has 2+2 figured out their market niche, or what? Turns out this book dealer also domeciles in Henderson, NV, where 2+2 is located. He specializes in selling books that have had shelf time in bookstores, that have tiny blemishes, so they're returned to the publisher. I proposed a certain price for my package of books, including shipping, and we did some business, after negiotiations!

Since I discovered 2+2 (how hard was it for me, since their website is promoted on the back cover of all those 2+2 books), I've come to realize the books I have are very close to the top of the list the Book Forum discusses. I also have other books, including a very early printing of Doyle Brunson's book Super/Systems.

I'd be happy to put up some of the lists of books I've come up with, but not in this post (it's too long, already)! If you'd like these lists, or you'd simply like to encourage a beginner here on 2+2, or if you'd like to tell about your approaches to finding interesting poker books, then feel welcome to respond! I intend to answer to all replies. Thanks!

Dave
Old 04-03-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Beginner\'s List of Poker Books to Read

Yea. Someone will read all that.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:22 PM

I just did, and I found it very interesting, along with all of Student's other posts (yes, they are quite long, but packed with interesting tips of ways to study the game). He may be a beginner, but this man is SERIOUS about starting a dedicated study of this game, and I believe will someday be making quite a bit of money at it. Anyways, Student, my e-mail is Gronnie6967@hotmail.com and I would love to read your list as I'm sure it is packed full of useful information. As far as jakethebake goes, who gives a flying f*** about your critique of the length of his post????
Old 04-03-2005, 05:43 PM

I've been on 2+2 for 10 days now, and have posted just 2 posts per day, on average. Most of these posts were responses to others, who were commenting on my posts. I noticed the fellow contacting me has made over 16 posts per day over a period dating more than one year. That's really a bunch of words. I've figured out that my title "stranger" goes away when I've posted my 25th post, and then I get the honorary title "newbie." Certainly that's not what prompts me to issue this outpouring of verbage, because you don't get paid by the word on 2+2.

I intend, instead, to help those who visit the Book Forum to enlarge their vistas concerning books, especially books about poker. If one follows along with the methodology I've described, one will be permanently enriched as to books of every kind. I see that as a gift! But I suppose no good deed is permitted to go unpunished. That's life...

Dave
Old 04-03-2005, 05:53 PM

Thank you very much!

I sure hope you're right about my prospects for making money at poker. Rome wasn't built in a day.

In response to Gronnie I've emailed the original ASCI format file of all books, and all the supporting data. These are limited to books about poker, and lean towards internet applications, tournaments, Hold'em poker, no-limit HE, etc. I must admit I like classic books, and especially old (and probably marked up and thoroughly enjoyed by prior owners) first edition/printing copies at low prices. These books have character. No mind NL HE tournament play books are in short supply; after all it's a topic that has become popular very quickly.

Anyone who sends me their email address shall have a copy of the same file I sent Gronnie!

Dave
Old 04-03-2005, 06:14 PM

This thread will help you get started. Mason's reviews.

On a slightly different note, I do find some of your posts difficult to read due to excess verbiage, and internal digressions. (You write with an Englishman's syntax.)

You may get better responses to your questions by editing your posts for brevity and clarity prior to posting.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:55 PM

Use basic english, keep it short and to the point.

No one has time to read and comprehend all that babel.

If you want to get poker books then just read the threads in this forum.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:07 PM

Fortunately, or unfortunately, verbage comes easily to me. I've made my contribution to the Books Forum, and it was done with no expectation of a reward (other than that I love to help others). Perhaps yesterday I read the book reviews Mason prepared, and find them useful except he seems to ignored the importance of clear communication, presense of humor, and relevancy. Of course, because he and David are technical experts at poker, it's not strange that his review limited to those aspects of books he reported on.

Thanks for commenting!

Dave
Old 04-03-2005, 09:08 PM

Noted, and properly chastised!

Dave
Old 04-03-2005, 09:43 PM

http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/reviews/gambling/