Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2005, 10:04 PM

Default worldview and poker

[ QUOTE ]
You are probably right, I tend to judge tournament players too quickly as I am by nature a ring player. When I see rampant minraising and such I tend to autoclassify a bit too readily.

That being said, I did recently double up against someone who went allin for 1.5x the pot with no pair no draw.

T25000 at break 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

This can be a pitfall in Limit as well, but as a Limit player, I do understand. I always try to remember that everyone else at my table (whatever table it may be) thinks that they are a pretty darn good poker player. They are making plays that they think are pretty good. They've used their intelligence to deduce the best possible action and then they acted accordingly. Now, you and I may have a better understanding of poker, or we may be more intelligent, but we cannot dismiss those at our table who, at times, arrive at the wrong conclusion.

My point? The next time you find yourself thinking "oh, that's just Joe, he'll bet anything." Think instead, "Ok, Joe has thought about this and has determined that his best chance of winning this pot (or maximazing his winnings) is to bet X here. Why does he think this, and how should I respond?

One more thing. Poker has a way of encouraging us to discount and disrespect other people. For some, they enter their poker world with this worldview already in place. For others, poker encourages these feelings which exist in us all. I think that in our efforts to be a "good person" AND a good poker player, we must actively keep a brighter worlview and constantly remind ourselves of the intrinsic value of our opponents. That is, remember our opponents are also good people just trying to make a buck or prove their poker worth.

CSC
Old 04-02-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: 3rd Break

what is your screenname, gotmilk?
Old 04-02-2005, 10:15 PM

bigwinnerman
Old 04-02-2005, 10:30 PM

ouch, just saw the hand you lost most of your stack on - good double up afterwards though and good luck (also if you can give your thoughts on the hand where you took the big hit at some point)
Old 04-02-2005, 10:56 PM

Is he at the final table?
Old 04-02-2005, 10:57 PM

No one is, it's a two day event.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:03 PM

Yes, it was retarded...it was also the 4th time he had reraised me so i wanted to make a stand--sometimes i can't control myself.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:39 AM

Default Re: 2nd break

[ QUOTE ]
TY, I am just so glad I had it against that player. I have almost 0 FE against him. (which is very profitable in that situation - allowed me to value bet even with a 3-card flush on the board)

[/ QUOTE ]

CardSharp,
I'm the guy that payed you off on the threes up hand. I play very few MTT, I usually just play them for fun, but I'd really like to take some steps to improve my MTT game. I was wondering if you would elaborate some on what you said about your folding equity against me. Do you remember any specific hands/plays that you saw me make that gave you this impression? I'd appreciate any incite that you can give me, thanks.

- Chris
Old 04-03-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Re: worldview and poker

OMG! Great Points, this deserves its own thread!
Old 04-03-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Re: worldview and poker

Truly a great post. Thank you for expanding my...I'm not sure exactly what....

I never really berate bad opponents openly or anything, and I considered myself more respecting than most. But I do certainly feel more aware and more understanding of my opponents after reading this.

It DOES deserve its own thread. thanks again!