Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2005, 09:37 PM

Default A pain in the ass Vegas local

The player in the small blind is this pain in the ass vegas local. He's not the local nit that is so often referred to around here, but a different less common type of local. This kind is overaggressive and over confident. Outgoing and friendly if winning, they frequently try fancy plays, they think they can make good reads and outplay the weak tourists but in reality they must be long term losers. Overaggressive and condecending, this is the kind of player from whom you would expect to hear the words "you called ME with that hand?!"

The player in MP is a typical loose marginally playing tourist.

MP limps, SB completes, I check in the BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

flop is 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets, I raise, MP 3bets, SB calls, I call

turn is A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, I check, MP bets, SB checkraises, I call, MP calls

river is 3 (or 2)[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, I check, MP checks.

What I think are the two interesting plays are in bold.

Comments?
Old 04-02-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Re: A pain in the ass Vegas local

checking down the river is obvious.

The turn is tough. I guess I put mp on 99/TT/JJ or maybe just an 8 (You describe him as a tourist so I'm guessing he's not doing something tricky like 3-betting a flush+str8 draw or flush draw+overcards). If you think that you are likely to be beating sb who maybe has a hand like 65/67/68 or even 6s with some other spade then I would strongly consider raising here. However, this would look stupid if he just had flopped a str8 or 2p. Nonetheless, you're at least calling because you're doing fine, esp against flopped 2p. Anyway, the turn cr looks like an attempt to knock out the good player (you, hopefully) and isolate the tourist. If the sb is somebody you play against regularly or even if you expect to be playing against him for another several hours I really like raising the turn here and then checking down the river. This could knock out the tourist who may have odds to call the cr (with a hand like 89) and help save you the pot that's supposed to be yours. Since you're open-ended with top pair it's a nice time to make a stand cause you still can probably suck out.

Especially in live games, I like to make these loose raises against hyperaggressive players both because you might be winning anyway and because I like to let them know that they're hyperaggression bs is gonna get punished really severly and not gonna fly with you sitting to his right. Maybe he'll think twice next time he wants to pull a move on you. After all, the only thing that pisses a bluffer off more than a call is a raise which forces him to fold. Furthermore, showing down this hand after 3-betting with just A6 on a big street could make the table think you're psycho and get you some nice action on your big hands.

Obviously if you're certain that sb has you beat you should just call or probably even fold, but I REALLY like 3-betting the turn here with the intent of checking down the river unless it's an A or makes your str8.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:50 PM

I think you played it right. If you three-bet the turn you have to put them both on draws that will miss or tie for this to be profitable. If they both call your three-bet you are probably in trouble, and you don't want to reopen the betting for the nit. The river check seems smart to me.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:54 AM

Does he check twopair on the river? Seems off to me given his description.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does he check twopair on the river? Seems off to me given his description.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you ignoring my PM's and emails? What's going on?
Old 04-04-2005, 09:54 AM

Default Is there any other kind? n/t

Old 04-04-2005, 11:21 AM

"The player in the small blind is this pain in the ass vegas local. He's not the local nit that is so often referred to around here, but a different less common type of local. This kind is overaggressive and over confident. Outgoing and friendly if winning, they frequently try fancy plays, they think they can make good reads and outplay the weak tourists but in reality they must be long term losers. Overaggressive and condecending, this is the kind of player from whom you would expect to hear the words "you called ME with that hand?!"

The player in MP is a typical loose marginally playing tourist."

Sounds like Guifre in the SB, and myself in MP. Should have been a real easy game to beat.

TSP
Old 04-05-2005, 08:01 PM

Villian never ever checks two pair on the river.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:04 PM

Default result

Villian rolled 99, Tourist TT, I showed my A6 and took it down. Villian was absolutely disgusted and shocked that I had the balls to call him with the best hand :-p. He was visibly upset and shaking his head for about 45 minutes, and on tilt for much longer than that.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:28 AM

Default Re: result

Well sorry to be a pain in the ass myself, goofball, but I think your flop cold-call in this small, unraised pot is poor to be honest.

Yes, you have an open-ended straight draw with an Ace overcard, but the board is twosuited, you have one card working in your straight, meaning you may very well tie it if you hit it...

No, too many things working against this hand. I stay away.

Lars