Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2005, 06:29 PM

Default AA vs 2+2er

I'm not sure what I think of this.

Full table, I open with Ac Ad after two folds.

1 fold and fish cold calls. Solid 2+2er cold calls right after fish (yes I want his seat). All others fold.

Flop 5s4s3s. I bet, fish calls (means he could have a piece of the board or could have two overcards... he just likes to call a lot), 2+2er raises, I call, fish calls.

Turn 5d. I bet, fish folds, 2+2er raises, I call.

River 5h. I bet.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:49 PM

Default Re: AA vs 2+2er

Meh. 3-bet the turn or checkraise the river.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:55 PM

Does your river bet imply that you think he flopped a flush and would check through on the river, or that you think he has a pocket pair and will let you bet-3bet the river?
Old 04-02-2005, 06:56 PM

I thought he had 44 that would check behind, though the prosect of bet-3bet was in my head too just in case.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:19 PM

Is an overpair for the 2+2er out of the question? I like 3 betting the turn better since you have red Aces.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:24 PM

i dont like the turn/river combo. its like you kinda like you h alf assed chose a plan and kinda went with it but then changed your mind...
clearly the 5 changed things a bit ... so in retrospect 3 betting the turn is probably better b'c a spade would also be bad....

-Barron
Old 04-02-2005, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Meh. 3-bet the turn or checkraise the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why 3-bet the turn?. TIA.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:01 PM

I'll go against the grain and say I like it. I think villain has a set or possibly a big flush (maybe he has a straight, but 67s is pretty light to be coming in with there IMO).

I think you sucked out on the river, but it is possible villain has a big overpair he was playing oddly.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:49 PM

I agree that you sucked out. I am basing this all on your read of 'this opponent is a solid 2+2er'. First of all, he can't have QQ or KK because no solid player would call here preflop with those hands. He would raise (1) because he doesn't want people to come in behind him and (2) because the fish is in and might as well be sucked in for more bets.
Anyway, if the villain can read hands well, which you seem to think he can, then he knows exactly what you have: an overpair with no spade. Think about it, what other hand would you play in this manner? overpair with spade you'd 3-bet flop. Big cards like AK with no spade you'd fold flop. AK with big spade you'd 3-bet flop for deception and figuring yourself to be drawing to spades and often to K's and A's. Instead, by calling flop raise then leading turn, you are saying 'I think you have flush draw and are doing okay on flop, so I am going to wait to make sure turn is blank then lead again'. Certainly your opponent must see this and put you on a big, spadeless pair.
This said, you basically have to decide if he would ever bluff raise you here. I feel like if he's a tough player he might raise you on the turn here with something like 9s 9d or definitely with something like 6s 6d just incase you'll fold. However, I think you're most likely beat based on the turn play. Nonetheless, if you think this player is capable of trying to push you off an overpair on scary turn, knowing that's what you have, then I would call on turn and check call a spadeless river hoping to catch a bluff but expecting to lose to 44, 33, 67 and flopped flushes regularly.
However, unless he had like 45s you obviously rivered him if you weren't already winning and I think you have to bet. If you rivered him he knows it and will check down but might have to crying call cause of potsize if you just lead. If you were already winning then he might call anyway with a smaller pair. He obviously won't try to bluff you off this river because nodody who open raises in early position and keeps showing aggression is folding a 55543 on the river, even AK calls on that board all the time. He might even check down 99 if he's really smart. I think that you have to bet because it garuntees at least one bet on the river virtually regardless of his holding. Oop I think it's important to just play straightforwardly and get the money in the pot when you're ahead. I really don't think that check-raising this river is a viable line. Just bet and make sure you get rewarded for rivering him if that's what happened. I know that if I backdoored a boat against a flopped flush and the river went check check then I'd feel like a total moron, I better at least get one bet if I pull something like that.

meh, sorry, long post, but I hadn't seen anybody saying the things about this hand that I wanted to say. Everybody else is just like 'you have AA, you should go psycho and 3-bet turn or cr river or something' but really I don't see how you can expect raising the turn to have value, he's either making a strong semi-bluff or just totally murdering you.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:23 AM

I like it.