Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 06:31 PM

Default KK preflop

Party 1k nlhe. My stack is 1350, villain covers.

Utg+1 bets 40, folded to me in CO, I call. Iīm hoping that either a) I get it heads-up with the raiser b) very aggressive player in BB makes a move (I havent yet figured out how bad he is, but he sure overplays hands). Folded to BB who re-raises to 250, Utg+1 folds. Whatīs my move?

When I considered what to do, I put villain most likely on QQ-JJ, AK (just wanting to take it down), possibly TT-99, AA-KK, and unlikeliest but possible a complete bluff. Villain had been very aggressive pre- and postflop. If I call I expect him to fire at any flop he missed, he might or might not slowplay if he hits his hand hard.

Do I push, re-raise or just call and take a flop?
Old 04-01-2005, 06:49 PM

Default Re: KK preflop

If the villian is good enough to put you on either AA, KK, or QQ by cold calling the initial raise and his large reraise you should play for the pot before the flop. Otherwise he may be able to move you off your hand after the flop. What do you do if an A flops and he fires out for the pot. He may do this with a hand like TT or JJ since he thinks he can get you to fold your KK or QQ.

I say reraise before the flop. Since you say he is very agressive and will make this play with a large range of hands you are going to have to pay him off if he has AA.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:35 PM

with stacks a little shallower I would certainly slowplay, but here I think its close. The pot is going to be ~550 on the flop, and any significant bet he makes will commit him the rest of the way.

So pretty much it depends on how likely he would call a reraise preflop with QQ JJ or AK. If he will fold QQ JJ here preflop then you should try to get it in on the flop.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:44 PM

easy push, there are too many cards that you dont like or kill your action on the flop. he might have AA but so be it
Old 04-02-2005, 04:24 AM

Default Re: KK preflop/results

Forgot to mention this was a full game, but you guys probably guessed so.

I havent been playing a lot against over-aggressives, maybe thatīs why I was a bit lost here. I reverted to my default strategy and decided to take a flop, if unders would fall Iīm playing for my stack. Afterwards having thought about it a bit it seemed to me a push was a better play and by some measure. I wasnīt sure, but I thought since I had been pretty weak (just calling a raise) he would more often than not call my push with JJ-QQ, AK, after seeing him play more it was clear he wouldnt fold those monsters. The problem was he could blow me out of the pot with a worse hand if an A fell, and I might lose action if a card he didnt like fell.

Maybe I could have re-raised and committed myself whatever came, here I was just trying to get as much money into the pot , not trying to avoid going broke. A re-raise other than push just seems a bit silly to me there, might be a good way to play this guy though.

I called (and I think I wouldve folded to a big flop bet if an A came), flop all rags, he put me all-in and I called, he showed JJ. Thanks for replies, confirmed what I eventually thought.